AM FM Tuner?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
Today would be best to build a DSP based tuner.
Or start with a ready made module like the ones on ebay...if you don’t want deal with programming.
DSP & PLL Digital Stereo FM Radio Receiver Module 87-108MHz with Serial Control lots of these on ebay.

Or take the best front end from one vintage tuner with 5 or more gangs add the best IF section from another (wide and narrow IF) and then grab the decoder section from a late 80s tuner that has the LA3450 decoder and you might have a super tuner. Few tuners were great in all areas but you can find several good in one of these. The tuner you choose for the front end should be the chasis donor so you don’t need to deal with dial and tuning frequency. And I mean take entire sections of pcb/circuits as is. Make it an integration project of working sections.

Last edited:
You say that you do not understand the specs so how can they have any meaning to you? Your assertion of saying that a spec is poor is based on a number that you do not understand the meaning of?
No need to get rude, I am a RF engineer and understand most of the specs immediately.
Some parameters like Input IP3, adjacent and alternate channel selectivity and blocking sensitivity require some careful reading of the footnotes and test conditions.
Worse, most of these figures are not available publicly for the classical tuners for comparison. Review used to focus on just sensitivity and maybe distortion

Hi eggplant886,
I managed to get RDS to work with RDS Spy via GPIO (clock + data)
Please, can you offer help in this regard. to display RDS directly in XDR-GTK?
I also tested with good results the TEF6686 makserge's project from github and it has the RDS working on I2C.

Thanks in advance and keep up your excellent work !

An excellent alternative

To building from scratch. I fully get the DIY approach, along with the experimentation and learning. But sometimes when audio quality wants to be the priority, the existing vintage market can offer a lot of value. With a few good stations, I spend much less time listening to any other source. KT-8300A.jpg

Hello,
I have a question about the radio chip.
Which one currently available (for example from SiliconLabs) do you recommend for use as a car radio - upgrade AM radio (from classic car) to AM/FM?
At the moment will be enought for me only FM chip but in the future I plan to design all new electronics:
- radio AM+FM (+maybe DAB)
- other audio inputs like BT,
- preAmp (TDA7419) and amp (TPA3116)

Best
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.