Aluminium loudspeaker enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built these a couple months ago using the RS Minimus 11 cabs. The have internal ribs and are very stiff. I am building a matching sub with this pot. No resonance issues at all.

Attachments

• 20160620_111623.jpg
    20160620_111623.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 207
Big Box Aluminum Klone: suggest modified Daniel Hertz M1.
Modern tall&lean styling instead of short&wide Classic JBL 4344.
The Russian Premir owns a pair.
Replace 40H x 60V Tweeter horn with SEOS15 waveguide
Set a speaker budget to get well matched suggestions.
https://www.danielhertz.com/products/m1

Small Box Aluminum Klone: suggest modified Krell Modulari Primo is a 2-way
-Satori drivers from SB Acoustics.
-Illuminator midbass from ScanSpeak
Speakers

I had these pictures on my system ... might help set your "vision"

The wood tech exampies help illustrate good style and good construction.

Attachments

• Wood Tech 2.jpg
    Wood Tech 2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Wood Craft 1b.jpg
    Wood Craft 1b.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Wood Craft 1.jpg
    Wood Craft 1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Metal Tech 2.jpg
    Metal Tech 2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 278
  • Metal Tech 1.jpg
    Metal Tech 1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 195
HI
My last speaker project I used 5052 plate for baffles with alloy dowels .
The baffles were very still and no flex compare to ply or mdf of the same cut out .

If funds aren't an issue 6061 is the go to plate to use .
Cheers

Attachments

• Alloy5021baffle.jpg
    Alloy5021baffle.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Alloymidsectionbaffle.jpg
    Alloymidsectionbaffle.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6411.jpg
    IMG_6411.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Metals may not be the "best" material for the inner sides unless you have something that works really well at dampening it, like a dynamat and then adhesive foam of some sort. Even then I might want to use a more proven material, depending. One has to also wonder how sound will react against a full metal baffle. I got rid of a metal rack I liked, but I could tell added coloration to the sound.

I skinned the outer side of this amp stand with .16 stainless to make it look like one solid piece steel, baltic birch ply is encased inside to deaden it. I still have to weld and dress some places to hide seems and fill a couple holes in. Or you could weld up edges and have the metal show the pretty custom work, personal taste. Tacking thread on sheet and bolting it down from the inside of the box is one way to anchor it down, along with some good adhesives. I appreciate custom metal work by others and try to do some of my own from time to time. Whatever you decide please keep us posted on your build.

Attachments

• ep06.jpg
    ep06.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I built these a couple months ago using the RS Minimus 11 cabs. The have internal ribs and are very stiff. I am building a matching sub with this pot. No resonance issues at all.

I remember those, nice job you did. I used to have 7s I dont doubt metal speakers can work. Doesnt gallo make some full metal speakers as well? Canton is another one I can think of, and one by a German manufacturer that I can not think of :eek: But do know they exist out there.

...the problem with that, is that is has a verry noticeable , and well defined rezonance.
when it gets excited its horrible. full aluminium would be even worse i suspect.

Yep. Bells are made out of metal for a good reason; the resonances of the metal supports the sound generation. Loudspeaker enclosures should be non-resonant, and not emit any sound at all. Full metal speaker enclosures are therefore not a great idea. But a combination of different material works very well. You could use a wooden box and cover it with metal sheets, for example like this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.