Alternatives to Altec 416A in OBs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using Altec 416B original vintage drivers as bass drivers in 3 way open baffles. The crossover frequency is 90-100Hz.

Despite using a 1000W ICE amp and mini DSP to drive just the bass drivers, I remain disappointed by the bass output in terms of impact. Am I wasting effort on this vintage drive to deliver the goods and what would you recommend I switch to?

Thanks

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yep, I used fabfilter pro q3 vst plugin. They are big heavy drivers.

Attachments

• 15fi3uq.jpg
    15fi3uq.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 356
I am using Altec 416B original vintage drivers as bass drivers in 3 way open baffles. The crossover frequency is 90-100Hz.
Very bad, you made a lot of mistakes.

Below is the measurement of Altec-416-8A, which I put in a ported box = 180 liters. The red curve - the port is closed, the blue - open. A-416 needs a high-quality amplifier of small power and a cross-section frequency of 700-800 Hz.

Attachments

• А 416-8А в ФИ - ЗЯ-180 л, пря&.jpg
    А 416-8А в ФИ - ЗЯ-180 л, пря&.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 361
1. What is your baffle size and type? U, H, W, no baffle?
2. How close is your woofer to the floor and also to the front wall? Is there a gap btw baffle and floor?
3. Altec is great for hf extension; not much point in using it under 100hz... Subwoofer territory.... I would go for a woofer with higher xmax.
4. There might be sth wrong if the cone is not moving with 1000w... Be careful you can damage the drivers...
5. What is your dsp setting for bass boost if any?

Last edited:
Front panel 4ft by 2ft as photo.

I think this is probably the take home message and pretty much own my conclusion

"Altec is great for hf extension; not much point in using it under 100hz... Subwoofer territory.... I would go for a woofer with higher xmax."

Attachments

• seas in location small.jpg
    seas in location small.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 273
The OBs originally had Saba Greencone mid-rangers which are relatively limited in SQ in the bass region. They were crossed over at 600 Hz and thereby made good use of the vintage Altecs.

In a process of improvement the Sabas have been replaced by SEAS Exotic W8 drivers which easily out perform the Sabas and are quite happy to sing down to 100Hz. So the 15" bass drivers are only called upon to work below 100Hz and hence my question.

Qts is pretty low (0.19) for OB

We all have our various 'crosses' to bear and mine WRT speaker alignments in general is 'heart attack' fast transients to match up to efficient drivers/horns and high power capability to help with room /boundary gain + EQ and if one driver/channel doesn't go loud enough at high SQ, then add more to meet the needs of the app.

GM

This has always intrigued me. No matter what music I play I have never seen the cone on my Altecs move (and yes it is connected). Is this normal for 15" drivers in OBs?

No! Especially such a low Xmax driver as the ~5 mm 416/515 series, so either you're not playing it loud enough to move it or not low enough BW or it's just plain broke.

FWIW, even with corner loading, my dual 20 Hz Fs 515Bs tuned to ~14 Hz will move a good ~ 3/8" p-p on DSOTM, so a single driver will move up to 4x more for a given power out in the room.

My SWAG then is the baffle's way too small combined with too far out in the room and maybe even you and/or it is positioned in a room null [an all too common a problem IME].

GM

We all have our various 'crosses' to bear and mine WRT speaker alignments in general is 'heart attack' fast transients to match up to efficient drivers/horns and high power capability to help with room /boundary gain + EQ and if one driver/channel doesn't go loud enough at high SQ, then add more to meet the needs of the app.

GM

Point taken. I do that too sometimes :D

.......and what job did you do at Altec? ;)

GM

Altec was my first "real" job out of high school. I worked in the commercial driver department. I became a lead person and had to perform every aspect of speaker building on the manufacturing line. When someone needed a break, I stepped in.

One of my favorite jobs was working on Pink Floyds' speakers. We received pallets of 421's (IIRC about 100) that were destroyed after a show. We reconed ever one of them.

By the time 1982 came around they closed down the driver line including the machine shop and moved everything to Oklahoma. I was moved to the amplifier department. It was not as fun as building speakers. I left shortly after that.

After they closed the Anaheim facility Odetics Inc. moved in. After that various companies came and went. Last year they demolished the building.

A couple of years ago I was looking for Altec parts on craigslist. I found a guy that had a huge list of Altec gear. At the time I was looking for Mantaray MRII594A and this guy had them - $50 each. So we met and chatted a bit. Turns out his dad worked at Altec in the 50's and 60's as an engineer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.