• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

altec/peerless mystery amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
I need some help with a tube amp I have.It has no make exept for the transformer which is a peerless /altec lancing corp seriel 16277.It has 2 12ax7,one 12au7,one vr150 written in chassis plus two tube sockets.I got it with the following tubes 2 x 12ax7,1 x 12au7,1 x od3,2 x 6l6g.It has a 8 pin plug for the psu.I would like to find the schematics for this but do not know exactly what it is.power amp?preamp?one black rca plug and 4 red pin plugs.screws for impedance unmarked.
any help welcome.It has a screw for balance aswell.
Thanks

Attachments

• a6_1.jpg
    a6_1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 428
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think it is pretty obvious looking at it that this amplifier was a DIY effort and not the product of some audio company. Looks nicely built though, too bad you have not got the supply that goes with it. The chassis box appears to be a bud box incidentally. I have seen a lot of home brew amplifiers in this neck of the woods over the years and some of them were built to very high standards.

Kevin

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't believe it is a power supply, as I recall I used the same type of peerless output transformer in one of my long ago projects. The OD3 could be used for screen regulation if the amplifier is set up for tetrode mode operation. The driver topology is anyone's guess..

Kevin

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The output transformer may have been used in a W-2, but the only Heathkit W-2 I am aware of used a pair of 6SN7 and 5881 in an ultra-linear implementation of the old williamson design. This particular amplifier is not a W-2! The power supply which was on a separate chassis used a 5V4.

Here is a link to schematics, and pictures of a real W-2: http://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit/

Another thing that makes it obvious that this is a homebrew is the raggedness of the holes around the tube sockets. I have never seen a heath product available commercially with holes that looked like that.

I maintain that this is a homebrew, albeit a very well put together one.
It may even be a williamson, but the tube line up makes me believe otherwise.

Best, Kevin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.