Alpair 12pw Fullrange?

Hello. I wasn't expressing my question properly, obviously. What I was curious about is what I thought I'd read- maximum travel one way. I wanted to know if this meant literally the maximum excursion, which to me would literally sum the amounts of travel from maximum retraction to maximum excursion.
Or if it meant what XMax normally means- maximum excursion from the at rest position. Throwing in the extra descriptor before XMax was throwing me.
I wonder why the arrestor isn't a normal feature on all Mark Audio drivers; I've had these as backups for years and haven't kept up with the newer iterations, so I don't know if it's still used or not as the designs move forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xmax is at a percentage of distortion, which is (use to be?) +/- 10% IIRC with Xmech being when it hits (bounces off IME) the back-plate. Anyway, research Klippel for all the tech info.
Thanks anyways. I know what XMax is. I asked about the term I mentioned MarkAudio uses in describing the driver, xmax 1 way.
I don't know how to say it differently, and am unsure why 1 way is ignored in every response.

Frankly didn't pay any attention in that historically Xmax was described as max linear one way with no further specs, i.e. the +/- was assumed/a given till recent times of improved measuring systems and if one goes back to pioneer times the rule was 'if you can see it move it's distorting' since actual measured specs were later found to be only a mm or so.

Reactions: 1 user
As GM points out, Xmax is a nebulous figure at best since there isn't a single definition for what it actually is. 10% THD was one; there are about a dozen other methods of generating a figure for it, none of which usually give the same value if applied to the same drive unit -many are purely based on physical dimensions, without any kind of acoustic measurement rating. Personally I think it's about as useful as EBP (i.e. not very ;) ) and it's made even more entertaining because many manufacturers don't tell you what method they used to generate that figure, or use it as a synonym for Xmech. For those who supply basic motor dimensions, it's sometimes possible to tell, but not always.

Be that as it may (apologies for the diversion) assuming you use one of the methods that key off the physical motor dimensions (e.g. Gander's, where you simply subtract the height of the VC winding from the VC gap, and divide the absolute value by 2), which are probably the most popular at the moment, then Xmax is ideally described in one direction from the driver's resting place, rather than as a point-to-point total, so '1 way' is just a different way of writing 'Xmax = +/- n mm'.

Reactions: 2 users
It was more about the number of funerals I either went to, participated in, or couldn't get time off for, without threat of losing my job with the 'straw breaker' being losing my job, though was already applying for a much better one (turned out to be my career), so figured it was as good an excuse as any to convince myself. Unfortunately, my example was moot as I'm still losing what's left of friends, relatives to various controlled substances with (the threat of) Covid, cancer, etc., and the economy in general wreaking havoc with (what's left of) their retirement funds among other excuses.

As GM points out, Xmax is a nebulous figure at best since there isn't a single definition for what it actually is. 10% THD was one; there are about a dozen other methods of generating a figure for it, none of which usually give the same value if applied to the same drive unit -many are purely based on physical dimensions, without any kind of acoustic measurement rating. Personally I think it's about as useful as EBP (i.e. not very ;) ) and it's made even more entertaining because many manufacturers don't tell you what method they used to generate that figure, or use it as a synonym for Xmech. For those who supply basic motor dimensions, it's sometimes possible to tell, but not always.

Be that as it may (apologies for the diversion) assuming you use one of the methods that key off the physical motor dimensions (e.g. Gander's, where you simply subtract the height of the VC winding from the VC gap, and divide the absolute value by 2), which are probably the most popular at the moment, then Xmax is ideally described in one direction from the driver's resting place, rather than as a point-to-point total, so '1 way' is just a different way of writing 'Xmax = +/- n mm'.
Thanks