Aleph-X Official PCB rev. Alpha

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Carpenter,
my avatar is there to annoy Fred. Since that didn't stop him I might as well remove it! ;)

:yawn: :yawn:
Fred
Point 1. I think you should read more than the 1st line of my posts. You would read that the I have already listed the extensive testing that WILL be done on the prototype.
Point 2. You have no idea about what Grey has done, for what you know, he may be listening to his AX to your face :drink: One think is for sure he has come up with the design, if it wasn't for him you wouldn't have many bull-ets to shoot.
Have you finished the Tex-x? :down:? :up:?
How about doing that and reporting on the results? Maybe the problem with the tex-x is HH current source. Luckly I included Grey's original in my layout. Just something for you to chew on.
:yawn: :yawn:

pcb count

Hi guys,

Well, we're up to 58 boards.

I would like to submit the final count by next Friday (I think that falls on the 15th). It would be useful if I had some cash to pay for this order. I'm able to accept cash, cashier's check, or money order. I'm not set up for pay pal, as a carpenter my customers pay me directly. It's looking like a pair of pcbs plus packaging/shipping would run around U.S. $25.00 to $30.00. Send me U.S. $30.00, I'll mail the surplus back to you. If you want 4 pcbs, then double that amount. Again, the surplus will be mailed back to you. My mailing address is:

John Inlow
13720 S. Clackamas River Dr.
Oregon City, OR 97045

I want to thank everyone for their interest in these boards. This has been quite an adventure.

John Inlow

"Yes and I have invited him to come back on the forum and tell us.
Grey come back please......... I promise to be gentle."

Fred
I have a pretty good guess that Grey doesn't give a rat's about coming back here. He's never going to get back what he can put into here, so we need him infinitely more than he needs us. I am pretty sure that he's working on something cool and thanks to you :joker: we are probably never going to know about.

I have been looking at the last few posts of yours around the site mostly because you keep quoting me, I found that moderately amusing, and wanted to amuse myself some more.
You basically sit back and look at what other people wrote and when something looks sensible enough you seem to give your seal of approval like you have been knowing that all along.
Well, I think that little game is growing thin, it has been a while since you posted that CCS circuit that you probably copied from somewhere, I guess it's time for you to show a token of original thinking because your lease on being smart and knowledgeable is running out.

Have some mercy

I guess it's time for you to show a token of original thinking because your lease on being smart and knowledgeable is running out
Do not be too hard on Fred. I think he is providing above average.
Myself is surely far behind.
:mad: And what would Forum be without all our "profiles" hanging around?

Attachments

• h29_thumb_.jpg
    h29_thumb_.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 940
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
grataku said:
I have been looking at the last few posts of yours around the site mostly because you keep quoting me, I found that moderately amusing, and wanted to amuse myself some more.
You basically sit back and look at what other people wrote and when something looks sensible enough you seem to give your seal of approval like you have been knowing that all along.
Well, I think that little game is growing thin, it has been a while since you posted that CCS circuit that you probably copied from somewhere, I guess it's time for you to show a token of original thinking because your lease on being smart and knowledgeable is running out.

I don't agree with this. I find some of Fred's posts insightful. I doubt that he copied the CCS from somewhere. Why are you so negative against him? I feel that this forum would be at a loss without him.

--
Brian

casual observation....

I think almost everyone would agree that Fred is sharp. Fred's social interactions with this group demonstrates to me that he also has fangs and isn't afraid to bite. How would you feel about your neighbor owning a temperamental pitbull? The animal is powerful and tends to be respected because of that power, yes, and yet they always feel a bit of trepidation; is his leash strong enough? Fred reminds me of a loose pitbull looking for someone to pit his strength against. This takes much of the fun out of belonging to this forum.

John Inlow

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Grey come back please.........

"Fred
I have a pretty good guess that Grey doesn't give a rat's about coming back here. He's never going to get back what he can put into here, so we need him infinitely more than he needs us. I am pretty sure that he's working on something cool and thanks to you we are probably never going to know about."

No I am not going to take the rap for that one and the forum did not dry up with his absence. ,How in the hell can anybody be afraid of someone on a web forum? It's a forum of ideas. If you put forth a theory or design you are fair game for discussion, analysis, criticism, deconstruction, and even praise. I refuse to take credit for running someone off. I am subject to the same scrutiny of my ideas, designs, and opinions as everybody else here, maybe more so. If one does not have the conviction of thier ideas to throw them into the bright light of the forum, I suggest the option of peer review via Email to the smaller circle of one's friends and associates. In my engineering career I have been present at many design reviews at both the giving and recieving end. It keeps one on thier toes and is a great educational tool that results in better designs and more important, better designers . I always wished I had even more people looking at my work to see what I might be overlooking. The input from Nelson Pass is the ultimate in peer review and a luxury that we all have had here. I wonder if some of the past frequent past contributers have run away due the very high level of technical discourse present here at this point. I guess it is much easier to blame it on "some bully" than than to indulge in self examination of the quality of the ideas one has posted.

Again I will ask, Grey why not come back and participate in the harvest of the results of the seeds you have planted on the Aleph X?

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but web post will never hurt me,
Fred

This is not a job.......

Hi Fred,

You describe yours as a vigorous life in the engineering field and that's the way it goes, I suppose. It's also your job and one has to accept the pros and cons of his/her job. Here, in the forum, is an environment that I don't consider to be a job and therefore, I don't really care to deal with someone hammering on egos. And yet, here you are, forcing me to stretch my boundaries. It's not easy, I don't like it, but then again, perhaps that's just life.

I'm not an engineer, I remodel homes for a living. I'm pretty good at it too. Not having a background in electronics makes this a difficult hobby for me. I'm good at fabricating an amplifier, and I've learned to read schematics to a degree. Today, because of your attitude Fred, I don't want to ask any technical questions of the group because I feel that I'm going to be slammed. You hammered me hard when I asked the group to go in on a pcb purchase with me. Now, gathering parts for an amplifier is the easy part for me. Yet, you slammed my spirit. I almost quit. If you can harm me with something I'm good at, I wonder what damage you'll inflict with something I'm not good at i.e. electronics design.

John Inlow

An eloge to the "PCB-work"

hifiZen:
"Thanks to wessol and carpenter for their efforts in putting together one of the first Aleph-X board layouts, and being so generous as to offer it for public consumption!"

I have had a look at the PCB-layout.
Fantastic!
More than one professionally working designer have reason to be envious, when seeing the result.
A lot of members are surely greatful for the ability to use that design.
We all should be proud to have such competent people around here.
Also sets an good example, for what can be done
by us do-it-yourselvers.

I bow!

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
I don't really care to deal with someone hammering on egos.

"Today, because of your attitude Fred, I don't want to ask any technical questions of the group because I feel that I'm going to be slammed."

That is the last thing that will get you slammed from me. I wish the people that think they know everything, would ask questions. I have respect for people who want to learn. I will save my slamming for the self proclaimed experts who want to "teach" others without any grasp of the subject matter themselves. I have spent my whole life asking questions and I don't plan to stop anytime soon. Nobody has ever hammered on my ego here have they?:smash:

Fred

Re: This is not a job.......

carpenter said:
Here, in the forum, is an environment that I don't consider to be a job and therefore, I don't really care to deal with someone hammering on egos. And yet, here you are, forcing me to stretch my boundaries. It's not easy, I don't like

I think that on the forum it's much easier to force ones ego, because you do it from behind the cover of your keyboard and you don't really have to face the other party directly. There is nothing here to like or dislike. It's either acceptance or avoidance. If one however decides to avoid, one might loose an opportunity. So calculate your priorities accordingly. And I'm not really talking here to you John, but in general.
And I agree that it's mostly what life is all about.

carpenter said:
but then again, perhaps that's just life.

I'm not an engineer, I remodel homes for a living. I'm pretty good at it too. Not having a background in electronics makes this a difficult hobby for me. I'm good at fabricating an amplifier, and I've learned to read schematics to a degree. Today, because of your attitude Fred, I don't want to ask any technical questions of the group because I feel that I'm going to be slammed. You hammered me hard when I asked the group to go in on a pcb purchase with me. Now, gathering parts for an amplifier is the easy part for me. Yet, you slammed my spirit. I almost quit. If you can harm me with something I'm good at, I wonder what damage you'll inflict with something I'm not good at i.e. electronics design.

John Inlow
;)

John, I'm quite like you. I don't have EE background and I'm good at remodeling houses (I did few of them, including mine). But I don't really care what Fred or Grey say and I'm not ashamed of my limitations in electronics knowledge. I give to the forum what I can and I grab whatever I find useful.;)

But I also don't act like a little girl whose good time is spoiled by a bully coming to her playground.
You were right about the demand for your board and the numbers confirm it. Fred was not right and he knows about it. He is probably little bored so from time to time he throws remarks about lack of stability concerning Aleph X design, but you know that Wessol built it and it works fine. So what is a problem here? It's a forum and everybody is allowed to express his opinion. And it doesn't mean that everybody has to accept it or agree.

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
He is probably little bored so from time to time he throws remarks about lack of stab

Or maybe he is not bored but does so from the experience with building amps, tweaking the Aleph3, running simulations,and STUDYING NELSON PASS'S PUBLISHED ALEPH DESIGNS. Keep in mind that there is wide lattitude in layout, resistor values, and Mosfet choices all which have very real effects on stability. Everybody is free to do thier own thing. I am not out to spoil anyone's fun. If you are going to copy something I would look closely at the all the Aleph designs as well as Mr. Pass's articles. I would not assume the documentation from someone who has shown technical mistakes on several ocassions to be state of the art design. I am sorry that amplifier design is not as simple as falling off a log but it is not. Not for me and i think not for everyone else either. I am starting to think my crime is not hand holding everyone through this project. I am not the one who started this project if you will remember and the one who did seems to be AWOL on all of this.

Originally posted by Peter Daniel
...it. He is probably little bored so from time to time he
throws remarks about lack of stability concerning Aleph X design,
but you know that Wessol built it and it works fine. So what is a
problem here? It's a forum and everybody is allowed to express
his opinion. And it doesn't mean that everybody has to accept it.

Or maybe Fred is trying to prevent future dissapointments, ruined
speakers, fireworks, etc.
This has been said before, but it looks like he is the lonesome
cowboy in a dessert yelling out. ( Does this make sense?)
One of Fred's recent posts asked a few questions like:
1-What will happen when the +output and -output are a dead
short?
2-What will happen when one or both of the outputs is a short to
ground?

I did some carefull tests (non destructive) on one of my finished
channels, and I do not like the results. I will have to fix that

But maybe you think the Aleph-X is a finished design. To me it is not.

Regards

John,
"That is the last thing that will get you slammed from me"
Fred the is correct, you'll be mocked, ridiculed, finger pointed and laughed at. If you are lucky, you'll be associated with a funny picture and made one of the :joker:'s play things. Most definitely you won't get slammed.

Fred,
I am asking you a direct question: where you get your narcotics so I can mine there myself? You quite obviously told Peter, I think you should tell me too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.