Aleph J-X Amp Project

Hello
Peter I don't know if I can plan a head the JX version . What I mean I would like to use the same transformer for the JX amp what I use right now for my Aleph X .
The transformer 2x18VAC 1.5KVA . I could save almost 300 on the transformer .
Any way I like to keep the transformer in a separate enclosure .
I will post some pictucture from my Aleph X .A picture worth more than 1000 word !
I was planing to build a Aleph2 to use up my large heat sink enclosure (about 45-50 lb) but the JX would be more exiting !!
I prefer the sound of the X over any Aleph .
I do not want to hijack the tread . I just want to know if my transformer OK to the JX . In that case I would stop to finish the Aleph2 .
Some picture .
Greetings

Attachments

• transformer.jpg
    transformer.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2,265
My Aleph X inside .
It is a great amp . The reason I want to try the JX-ed verizon .
I use the Kristijan PC board with 2pair mosfet (8 together for one side).
The bias is 7A . The sound amazing . Especially with lot of improvement in the bass .
It sound more like BJT not like Mosfet .
Regards

Attachments

• img_0001.jpg
    img_0001.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,284
I also built my F5 with all transformers in a seperate box.

I wonder what the advantages and disadvantages sonically, exist between an external ac and dc ready power supply in the Pass Lab Power amplifiers??

I know that in some Naim equipment the external power supplies are partially regulated DC before entering the main circuit chassis.

Hello
I made a test between the Aleph 30 and Aleph X and A3 .
The X is another world .
For me the X is sound like a very good Class A BJT powerful amplifier.
Powerful and deep bass not so warm mids but somehow more precise . And the bass does not get muddy or round .
The Aleph 30 or A3 more tube like but some how lesser bass an not so deep, more romantic in the mids , warmer etc but not so precise like the X .
Over all I prefer the X for me to my taste is 10X better than the A30 .
I did sold the Aleph 30 . Right now I rebuild the X .I want the transformer in a separate enclosure in that way I can use more capacitor in the power supply . And I think that big transformer is not the best idea to be close to the PC board and to the signal to .

Regards

Hello
The X use FET not BJT .I just wrote the character of sound of the X very similar to a good BJT Class A amp .
The same FET were used in a Aleph30 later I modified to Aleph3 .
I think the difference because the X circuit and the high bias .
My X running on 7A bias that 3.5A bias /FET .
My humble opinion the IRFP type FET need high bias to bring out the good sound from them .
So if I build the J version for me the X-ed type is the way to go !
But different people different taste ! I read from the master the Aleph J better then the famous Aleph 3.
My taste .
I prefer powerful deep bass , precise mids and nice clear top .
Some people like warm mids less bass etc .
Is depend , you want to hear the music what was recorded on the disc or you want to hear nice warm sound .
For example some tube amp has pure bass but warm sound and many people prefer them .
For me high-end means to get back the music as close to the recorded sound as possible with out any coloration .
If you have time and listening music all day you may prefer warm sound .It does not make you tried to listen hours or all day .
Is mater of taste !
Regards

A warm sounding 'mid' might not be colouration at all but a more accurate sound. It all depends on what you mean. If the voices sound accurate in your subjective experience then that is good enough. Good quality valve amps are often described as warm sounding, this does not in the least necessarily mean coloured. it more likely means there is a fuller and more accurate tonal palate on offer to the sometimes threadbare tone of some solid state amplifiers. Voices in general, in real life, sound 'warm' and vibrant with tonal colours to my ears.

As I said it is what we believe is accurate... if the term neutral/precise means the voices sound as you hear them, then so be it as does the term 'warm' to others.

Hello
Yes I agree with you , the sound can be warm , accurate and precise to.
What I don't like people sacrifice the accurate sound just because it has warm tonal .
Also I don't like when I have to imagine the bass because the bottom is missing .
Like some of the vintage tube amp has . Rounded bass , slow , to soft ,muddy etc .
Also I hate if the sound if is to thin .
I prefer fat sound with deep bass open and airy precise bass and mids and nice top .
Of course if is tube like (warm) that a plus .
Greets