• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Aleph J kit of parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
PSU update -

I have all the parts and am starting to package everything.

People on the list for the PSU should expect an email with information concerning the kit contents within 24 hr, hopefully much sooner. :)

Aleph J kit update - - once the PSU kit is packed and shipped I will start on the aleph kit. I need to see how many good matches I can get from the Bag of J108s and then order the parts and get the output transistors from Buzz. I know that all of them will sell very quickly , so it's going to be the simplest for me to get everything packaged and ready to go all at th same time, and when the order window is opened, they will likely ship the next day. This will eliminate any waiting from the time you order to when it ships.

Jim,
I just got your e-mail on the PSU parts. My board and a packet of Keratherm insulators came in the mail today. I guess it's time to pre-0order a Delux 4U along with the back panel and mounting parts. Aside from a transformer (which I hope you have some suggestions on), is there anything else I'm missing?

It is great that you are going to do a "build guide" for this project. A focus on the actual wiring would be most welcome.

Thanks for your effort in this project. You, and all the folks on Diyaudio, are just very generous with your time and extremely helpful.

OK, stupid question(s) time, regarding the diodes for the power supply

1) Since these are full-pack (back and tab are fully insulated), I can just use a bolt, nut, washer for securing without having to have an insulator for the bolt, right? It should seem obvious but I'm a worry-wart.

2) Jim wrote in the email, "No insulator is needed, although a bit of heatsink grease will be helpful."

Is there any harm in using silpads instead or is grease preferable?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
There are no stupid questions.

:D :D :D

1) Correct. Just use whatever hardware you have that fits, no insulator required.
2) Either is fine. I would use grease in this case if you can, it's cheaper and easier, but whatever you have will do. You could probably not use anything and be fine - just check the temp of the heatsink vs. the temp of the device after it's been on for 20-30 min or so.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Lol... Never. :) :) :)

The Store chassis are just too good not to use. Espically if you have no shop to fabricate anything metal.

And the weights involved with transformers make it totally inconvenient to do. Unless there is a supplier that could drop ship them, and with the high amounts of international customers (about half) I can't imagine a vendor that would go through that kind of brain damage. And when it's all said and done, there is no way you could get less expensive than Antek.

Oh no, just joking, my traffo is on order and I am trying to decide on Store chassis or making my own. Lots of time though 'cause I am out of funds!
Ask buzzforb about the Paradise traffo GB, I am sure that was more "fun" than he needed.

Thank you again for making this available to the community, and all that you do for us.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.