Aleph J illustrated build guide

This is the conclusion of the whole problem, the noisy channel was due to a bad new pair of Linear Systems J74s from a US eBay seller. Fakes?

A pair of Fairchild J76 did the trick wonderfully, no noise whatsoever. So the other channel got them as well. They might be lower in transconductance, but not sure. All other specs seem to line up OK. I reset DC offset, BIAS seemed to not need much readjust.

This story has a happy ending, the amp is extremely quiet with no stray pickup or noisy transistors.

Thanks to you all, I ended up with a better wiring route and a lesson for future amps.

you need do something about the wiring on the left ch. don't let the wires run under the PCB like they do. wire insulation can be damaged by the solderjoint/end of component legs and short out the amp. its better to run the wires over the top of the PCB.

you need do something about the wiring on the left ch. don't let the wires run under the PCB like they do. wire insulation can be damaged by the solderjoint/end of component legs and short out the amp. its better to run the wires over the top of the PCB.

Thanks for the advise, but I think I've put that cover on for the last time ;)

It is all sit back and enjoy for now. It is playing great.

my rule of thumb is to do it right the first time :)
PSU wires running between the PCB and heatsink can do a lot of damage. and there will be no heads up. it can happen tomorrow. in a year. next week. never. you'll never know.
one thing is certain. if it happens, the amp is gone.

In this case, the heatsinks do not get hot enough to hurt wire insulation, much less Teflon insulation that is some of it, it will hold out for good while. But, point considered for next time.

The amp is working perfectly and will continue to do so...

Last edited:
Curious me, at which Idss value did you match them ?

(Noise figure in the J manual is 100uV, that's -89dB in reference to 2.83V Noise of the J176 is 20dB worse than the Toshiba part. Normally, a noise level of -69dB would be audible on your 100dB/W horns)

It is not a straight one-to-one match to the Toshiba J174, but a "C" level match and it is the only part in stock at Mouser that comes close to a J174. No noise at all, so far it works very well. Here is the Fairchild spec sheet for the J176. Can you tell what the transconductance might be for J176?

IDSS:
J176: -2.0 - 25.0 mA
Toshiba: -2.6 - 20.0 mA

VGS (off)
J176: 1.0 - 4.0 V
Toshiba: .15 - 2.0 V

Transconductance:
J176: ??
Toshiba: 8-22 Ms

Look at the datasheets.

At 8mA, gm is over 40 mS for the 2SJ74
For the same Idss value, gm range of the J176 is 5.5-7.5 mS

(that's a lot of lost gain)

Were you getting these numbers from these charts?

Attachments

• comp.JPG
    comp.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 850
Manufacture of GR, BL, and V-grade devices are not 3 separate production runs, they all come from a single batch.

Parameter spread in manufacture generally has a symmetrical bell curve.
Typical means that the mean (average) gm value will be 22mS at 3mA Idss.

(same goes for scale factors in the mathematical expressions for JFETs, btw. gm = [ 2 * √(Id* Idss) / Vp ] The scale factor 2 is a typical value, in reality it can range from just over 1 to 2.5)

Last edited:
Manufacture of GR, BL, and V-grade devices are not 3 separate production runs, they all come from a single batch.

Parameter spread in manufacture generally has a symmetrical bell curve.
Typical means that the mean (average) gm value will be 22mS at 3mA Idss.

(same goes for scale factors in the mathematical expressions for JFETs, btw. gm = [ 2 * √(Id* Idss) / Vp ] The scale factor 2 is a typical value, in reality it can range from just over 1 to 2.5)

OK, thanks. This really helps it make sense.

Hi,
planning this build now and have started collecting parts, boards are on the way and Power fets have arrived from Austria thanx to h_a. :)

A question about balanced VS unbalanced input:

I want to run unbalanced Rca inputs only,

Can i drop all the Components in the negative input Chain : R3 C1 and possibly C5?

Or do I need to assemble the whole lot and short Gnd and negative ?

Thnx

Per