Aleph J illustrated build guide

Joined 2020
Paid Member
It's alive! Or at least my DC power supply is alive. 25.2 volts on both sides, within .01 volts of each other. The future front panel LEDs are the brightness I wanted (I mocked up with another power supply with the resistor/LED pairing), so now I will install those, now to get those power supply boards stuffed and assembled.

Been dragging my butt on this, but excited to have this milestone passed!

Screenshot 2023-02-17 143403.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

I built an Aleph J with single-ended inputs using the BrianGT boards. In order to simplify the build I omitted R3 and C1 and there was no connection to IN-.

I recently decided that I wanted to try balanced connections end-to-end in my system, so I ordered a pair of Neutrik XLR jacks, 1uF caps (C1) and 22.1K resistors (R3) and installed them in the J. I disconnected the twisted pairs from the RCA jacks, wired them to pins 2 & 3 on the XLR jacks, and wired pin 1 to one of the jack's mounting screws. On the board end, I left the + wire in IN+, and moved the - wire from signal ground to IN-. It follows that there is now no wire connected to the signal ground. I have confirmed 0 ohms from pin 1 to chassis ground, and from signal ground to common ground, on both channels.

Despite being unable to convince myself, I suspect that I am missing a connection, because there is hardly any output to the speakers (faint sound at max volume) and back on the bench I can't get a stable bias or DC offset with a shorting plug in the input. Temporarily reinstalling the RCA jacks (now with a jumper from signal ground to IN-) allows me to once again set the bias and DC offset accurately.

What am I overlooking?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM is Chicken

also being first Chicken in the history, having Cascode Fetish

contrary to all other Greedy Boyz - having Fets Fetish, mine is not Fet one, even if mine preserving Fets of being Torched and declared Maids of Devil

:rofl:

in short - do what you want, but don't cry to me later, asking where to buy JFets and how old ones are expensive and new ones are expensive and nogood

:devilr:

Reactions: 1 user
Nelson has mentioned on a few occasions that, if one is to push the JFETs hard, the ones he tested (Toshibas) worked surprisingly well. So, with Toshiba JFETs (available here in the store), + and - 28V DC could be an option for the brave ones.

I have + and - 24.5 V DC on my Aleph J with LSJ JFETs - so far so good. That voltage varies between 24 and 25V DC, depending on the mains supply (240 to even 250 V AC .. sometimes :eek: ).

But, the real question is... what are you going/trying to achieve with that voltage? More power? This ain't gonna happen - especially with a 4-ohm load, where the max output current is set and depends on - the quiescent current.

I am not sure what would happen with an 8-ohm load and higher supply voltage...? The heat dissipation will increase (for the same, given Iq) <- that is for sure.

So, the best thing to do for starters is... decide what power dissipation are you happy with (you would tolerate as a safe dissipation <- this depends on your build and room temperature), per each MOSFET. I would not go above 25W per each MOSFET.... but that's me. Which in turn means.... you've guessed it: + and - 24V DC supply and Iq of approximately 25W power dissipation per each MOSFET (very safe).

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it works (in fact, in both ways) in amps where signal ground is connected, in some (proper) way, to chassis

so, if that detail is still missing in your amp, it isn't proper

is there at least 10-15R NTC between audio GND and chassis (which must be connected to safety GND)?

except in case of being made of wood or plastic or any other non-conducting material :clown: