Aleph J illustrated build guide

What a relief

Well, finally got my 1rst channel board done and installed.

I have the PS set up for 240VAC in.
Initital trial with 120VAc for approx 50% rails voltage.
Did a quick power up, all LED's came on, no smoke or funny smells.

Had a test driver and my iPhone hooked up, brought the volume up and
music came out! :D

Couldn't resist listening for a couple of minutes, then rolled it back down.
I was as proud as only a newb amplifier assembler with limited electronics background could be.
Never would have tried it without the excellent build guide by 6L6 and surety of help from the forum.

Silent on power up, but there was a pop-pop on power down that was a little louder than I liked, though.
Next I'll rig for 240VAC and begin the initial adjustment procedure. Should have time tomorrow for that.

Hi Aljordan,

I built my J as per the BOM just as you did, but with a 400VA transformer. Your mention of the J being a little bright in the treble at first was exactly the same for me. Not that it sounded badly. It did smooth out after a couple of weeks listening to music daily. Maybe it’s a little more sensitive to break in?

To your note, I left the amp playing most of the day yesterday and today while I went off to work. Tonight while listening, it appears the amp has mellowed quite a bit compared to a couple of days ago. Maybe I didn't give it enough time over the past month, as I was mainly listening to the M2. Or maybe it sounds better after its been on for a while. Anyway, the treble sounds more tame and natural and quite a bit easier on the ears. It doesn't have the etched and dry quality that's been bothering me, if that description of treble makes any sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aleph J chassis guide

IMG_1704.jpg

This photo shows (behind all the various wires, sorry…) the mounting of the heatsink brackets to the heatsinks themselves, the back and the bottom.

Posted by: 6L6
Original Content:

Was doing the ol' check-double check thing and the Input wiring caught my eye.

I'm using single ended inputs in my project.
I have the RCA jack center pin wired to +In, RCA jack tab wired to -In.
In the photo above, it appears that RCA jack center pin is wired to -In,
RCA jack tab wired to +In.

1. Am I cross eyed on this, or should I reverse my wiring?
2. -In to GND jumper is not just for aligning bias and DC offfset, but permanent, correct?
3. Input still need to be jumpered (+In to -In) temporarily for bias and DC offset alignment?

Uh-oh

Hit some trouble when I went to full voltage for the alignment procedure.

DVM across R18 read .850V. Adjusting R27 (set to 68K when installed) had no effect on this reading.
Rail voltages were +22.88 and -23.5 measured at the PCB.

Powered down, connected iPhone to input for music check as on initial 50% power up when I got music to the test driver but this time got only a loud pop-pop-pop from the driver then silence.
By this time I'm noticing heat building, checked temps just below mosfets on the heat sink with a non contact thermometer. Power had been on only a few minutes.
Q6 = 90.8F
Q5 = 98.2F
Q8 = 130.6F
Q7 = 136.4F
Powered down after I took those temp readings.

Input connections at the time were RCA center pin to +IN, RCA tab to -IN.
I pulled the PCB to reconnect input to the configuration of RCA center pin to +IN, RCA tab to GRND, jumper between GRND and -IN.

Awaiting advice from those that know more about such things than I before
proceeding.
Signed,
One of the NeedyBoyz

finished amplifier cards and psu. waiting for my chassis to come. so the assembly can begin :)

Attachments

• 7204E9A2-4718-4A3A-A1AE-614237F8A939.jpg
    7204E9A2-4718-4A3A-A1AE-614237F8A939.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 381
  • 304146EC-6C53-45AB-9C7C-81B063C3AFAC.jpg
    304146EC-6C53-45AB-9C7C-81B063C3AFAC.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 381
  • 05256DFB-8EAA-4320-A342-5328390908E0.jpeg
    05256DFB-8EAA-4320-A342-5328390908E0.jpeg
    959.1 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hit some trouble when I went to full voltage for the alignment procedure.

DVM across R18 read .850V. Adjusting R27 (set to 68K when installed) had no effect on this reading.
Rail voltages were +22.88 and -23.5 measured at the PCB.

Powered down, connected iPhone to input for music check as on initial 50% power up when I got music to the test driver but this time got only a loud pop-pop-pop from the driver then silence.
By this time I'm noticing heat building, checked temps just below mosfets on the heat sink with a non contact thermometer. Power had been on only a few minutes.
Q6 = 90.8F
Q5 = 98.2F
Q8 = 130.6F
Q7 = 136.4F
Powered down after I took those temp readings.

Input connections at the time were RCA center pin to +IN, RCA tab to -IN.
I pulled the PCB to reconnect input to the configuration of RCA center pin to +IN, RCA tab to GRND, jumper between GRND and -IN.

Awaiting advice from those that know more about such things than I before
proceeding.
Signed,
One of the NeedyBoyz

Send some clear, well lit pictures of the amp boards.

Have not started the 2nd board.
Hope these photos are good enough for analysis.

EDIT: Would someone please identify which are source resistors by schematic number, please?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    957.7 KB · Views: 370
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 370
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    787 KB · Views: 360
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    890.6 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Input shorted, powered up. Rails both @ 22.8V

Across R18 = .940V
Speaker Terminals = 15.9V initially, slowly to 16.4 then power down.

Now that's what I call some DC offset.
Checked test driver voice coil, it survived.

Rechecked Q2,3,4 again. I'm as sure as I can be that they are in the correct positions and polarity.