Aleph 3? Project.

I'm almost finished with building the preamp. (Uh...soldering on all the components) like said, (and thanks to zenmod helping to identify it) it's a Aleph L.
Could i use 2200uF caps instead of the 1000uf for ps?
I have some very good capacitors i would like to use. I replaced the 1n4004 with mur's with higher amperage. (Is that a good word lol)

Ok, the dumb question of the week. (Sorry)
My speakers are very sensitive, about 106+ db.
I read somewhere that the aleph types are determent by the input voltage and the number of output devices. Correct?
If it turns out that i have way to much amplification, could i lower the voltage and thereby decrease power output? Or is it not that simple.

Yes. But i have a little kid running around. So i am thinking of ways to make it "child proof"
So i think i ment gain....

Edit: so if it does happen that my son touches the volume knob..(will learn him not to..but he is 18 months) he will have his hearing

Last edited:
Yes, also a good one. But want to build in a "fail safe"

While you mention the preamp (aleph l )

With this speakers i could make the gain setting a fixed one? So leave out the switch an set it at 0 db?
(6db is default if i'm correct)

Last edited:
Ok, the dumb question of the week. (Sorry)
My speakers are very sensitive, about 106+ db.
I read somewhere that the aleph types are determent by the input voltage and the number of output devices. Correct?
If it turns out that i have way to much amplification, could i lower the voltage and thereby decrease power output? Or is it not that simple.

Maybe what you need then is a B1 buffer and either an F4 or a Single ended source follower power buffer.
Then the most your speakers will ever see is 2V rms and still plenty loud for your requirements.

clarify

gain ..... or power ........ or both ?
Clarify: bigger (higher power output) aleph amp = more output devices and higher supply voltage? (Correct?)

Gain or power...... uhm..... Don't know.

Well like i said, i got very sensitive speakers. I could set the gain of my preamp (aleph l) to 0db. (Good idea?)

Point is zen mod, i don't know how to answer. If i understand correctly 10 watts would already be enough power for these speakers.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
gain - ratio of input signal voltage to output signal voltage

so , having 106db/W/m spks , you'll not need much power , even for peak demands

thus - smallest regular Aleph (25W/8R) is enough

also - 106db/W/m suggest that needed voltage/power is small , so any gain in preamp would be waste

conclusion - set aleph L to 0db

Clarify: bigger (higher power output) aleph amp = more output devices and higher supply voltage? (Correct?)

Gain or power...... uhm..... Don't know.

Well like i said, i got very sensitive speakers. I could set the gain of my preamp (aleph l) to 0db. (Good idea?)

Point is zen mod, i don't know how to answer. If i understand correctly 10 watts would already be enough power for these speakers.

why dont you try this test?

www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/204857-test-how-much-voltage-power-do-your-speakers-need.html

I think that your speaker will only need 1 Watt :D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it depends of source voltage level and position of volume pot

so - presuming 0db preamp's gain ( potent buffer , that would be),if position is anywhere bellow 1 clock it's worthwhile decreasing Aleph's gain , not unnecessary decreasing it's power

if you want to try decreasing the gain in Aleph , post exact schmtc you used and we can tell what resistor values to change

it depends of source voltage level and position of volume pot

so - presuming 0db preamp's gain ( potent buffer , that would be),if position is anywhere bellow 1 clock it's worthwhile decreasing Aleph's gain , not unnecessary decreasing it's power

if you want to try decreasing the gain in Aleph , post exact schmtc you used and we can tell what resistor values to change
It's the schematic in post #1 I was planning to do the latest mod / revision that papa posted....
Do i lose quality by lowering gain?