AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever

There seems to be a developersboard:

212ce104-b3ae-cc56-f349-4d5ce49ba1bd

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Unfortunately the AKM 4499 is not an R2R ladder DAC. It's a Delta Sigma DAC using resistors instead of capacitors. That's why it is current out. It's also the only way they could improve the SNR over the already unusable extreme of the 4497.

Cary's hype is unfortunate and should be unnecessary since the product should be very good.

Hard to say much about Cary's DMS-700 AK4499 since nobody has heard it yet. The 'creative' marketing storyline about the DAC on Cary's website is obviously aimed at audiophiles, not trained electronics engineers who will know what's wrong with it.

I would opine that even for CD playback, AK4499 may present certain high end design opportunities that AK4497 did not. Don't know to what degree if any Cary Audio might be exploiting some of that.

Most likely a pretty nice sounding DAC though. No way to say exactly how it will compare to its competition.

Aside: AKM recently made some chips that were in storage during the fire available to select customers through the wholesale distributor network. Cardboard outer packaging was damaged from humidity and heat, but vacuum packs inside still intact. All were inspected and put into new boxes. Requests were taken, and decisions were made on how to allocate the last remaining parts (as-is basis, no warranty). The big guys apparently got them all.

Last edited:
I know one person who returned a D90 and got his money back because of the grainy way vocals sound. Bass is great, L/R imaging is very good too. Cymbals have more of the same issues vocals do.

Maybe the only way one would know that is if one listened carefully to an even better dac or even to a very high end phono system. In fact, some people with the best of everything still like phono best. Despite its well known faults, so long as it is implemented as well as is possible there is still something about it that sounds right to humans.

Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2007
What does your system consist of?

Amp is a Purifi build with a Neurochrome Universal Buffer in front, all small voltages have regulated power supplies. Speakers are quite complex but I have B&C coaxial compression drivers into Le Cleac’h horns for mids and treble (with a Visaton TL16H to refine high treble) so you cannot have more precise rendition of mids and highs.

There is absolutely zero snake oil.

Roberto

I am using Benchmark AHB2 with Sound Lab electrostats. Also good power conditioning and fully custom cable (custom manufactured wire), not available for sale. There was a custom manufacturing run of each type.

No snake oil here either.

Don't know what to tell you, if you can't hear what I hear there is nothing to help it other than to listen in the same place at the same time. I'm in Norther California, if you would like to visit.

Last edited:
I had a D-90 here for awhile, while it was clear that the direct DSD mode with DSD 256 input sounded great, it was also clear that this implementation was not the best, as the sound was lacking in some areas. Not surprising considering the tiny power supply, and the choice of OPAs to drive the output (I prefer to go direct to amp here). It might have been better into a really good preamp with a bit more current oomph, but any DAC with that tiny a power supply is going to be compromised in some ways in a really good system.
I still think a really nice implementation of the 4499, running at DSD 256 in direct mode, could be one of the best DACs around, but have yet to see such from a reliable commercial producer.
Meanwhile, I am very happy with my Bricasti M3, running its discrete DSD mode at DSD 256. It also may be awhile before we see more new commercial designs wiht the 4499 given the fire situation.