• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.

Hi mike, bavmike or what ever you call yourself.

I wrote you friday per email about the boards i ordered at the same place as mentioned in the thread on the previous site. And that they have not even put it in the que when i wanted to pick them up..

But Mike you have all the design files. So you are free of me.

From what I hear you have been paid for 20 PCB's and a working prototype in advance. You have claimed to have ordered these boards several times already. Mid Oct was the first time, and they were due to arrive on Nov 11th. Then again re-ordered a few weeks ago. Now you're saying that nothing was even ordered at all, and it is all the fault of the PCB house?

First they lose all of the first batch of PCB's and don't even have a tracking number or invoice that they were ordered to prove it, and now after ordering several times and promised several dates nothing has been ordered? That's some story. Very believable.

So what you're saying now is Mike has the design files so he's on his own and not getting the 20 PCB's and working prototype he paid you for?

Last edited:
Dear Mike, I am afraid You have totally misunderstood the meaning of my earlier words.

I would like to turn back to it later.
But now I don't understand something.
Could You enlighten us. On the frontpage of that forum of your's, You are proudly showing the photo of something.
Pardon me, it might be a language thing. But me, personally, I am totally convinced that I see a complete PCB, realized and built. 20 if I remember well from the discussions.

Who has done that? (Not yourself, that we had already understood)

Ciao, George

Dear Mike, I am afraid You have totally misunderstood the meaning of my earlier words.

I would like to turn back to it later.
But now I don't understand something.
Could You enlighten us. On the frontpage of that forum of your's, You are proudly showing the photo of something.
Pardon me, it might be a language thing. But me, personally, I am totally convinced that I see a complete PCB, realized and built. 20 if I remember well from the discussions.

Who has done that? (Not yourself, that we had already understood)

Ciao, George

If I understand right that was an early PCB that was loaded with design errors. He didn't even get the polarity right on the opamps. So the traces needed cut and jumped with wires. The USB conditioner section didn't work, And it wouldn't even work with Linux. It had wires soldered all over it jumping across many areas for it to even function.

Perhaps that would be acceptable to your standards. But not Mike's.

Last edited:
It is a screenshot from your forum
""
Mike
Admin · 37 Likes · 0 Top Comments
Oct 31
Discovered that the issue with the XMOS chip and Linux is it's looking for a 48 multiple clock to do the initial sync, but we only have a 44.1 multiple clock. So it fails doing the sync. Was fine with the older XMOS chip, but different story with this one. So we are putting in a 24.576Mhz clock as well. But only so it syncs up. The 22.579Mhz clock will be for listening to music.
""

Last edited:
So again, whose fault it was the - temporary - design stall.
Who had given orders to use That type of Xmos with a single clock?
Sonny is an engineer, I know for sure these stupid things are not coming in his mind.
But it was him, Sonny who had to discover this. Extra work and time lost.
A redesign. But why should He finance the faults of someone else?,

So again, whose fault it was the - temporary - design stall.
Who had given orders to use That type of Xmos with a single clock?
Sonny is an engineer, I know for sure these stupid things are not coming in his mind.
But it was him, Sonny who had to discover this. Extra work and time lost.
A redesign. But why should He finance the faults of someone else?,

What does the opamps being routed in opposite polarity along with the dozen other flaws have to do with that? When you pay an engineer 105 Euro an hour it's expected that they know what they're doing. Yes mistakes can always happen, but the agreement was 20 PCB's and 1 fully working prototype. If this wasn't something that was clearly understood by both parties, then he wouldn't have said he ordered the replacement boards several times.

And first of all. Who on earth could be so crazy to order right away 20 pieces of a prototype board.
In all my life had never see a professional risking to loose money in that way. With a totally new, unexplored technology involved in the project. For the partecipants. Who did not have direct experience of that particular config.

What level of recklessnes and incompetency is needed for such a move?

Last edited:
Then I did never understand. What does it mean 'pcb design' when you claim a total new development of hardware design, board layout, Xmos and vhdl programming, firmware and driver development?

Did You pay correct amount for covering the Research and Development activity of a competent firm for ~ half a year?

In the meantime, to all the brave people seeing Sonny getting in problems with his own projects.

These are the circumstances and Heres Is The Culprit of a big part of our problems
Mike.
This is where my stake is.
I could not care less about your project.

It is our projects here that are threatened by your relentless activity.

So I can only prey that Sonny finally can get out if sooner than later and can be back to normality!!

I did make design errors yes.

I regret i was talked into installing TUSB212 on the board and that part did not work. But i had no knowledge with this part at all... Never used it before. So i was deeply in blind.

I did two other design errors.
1) was that the +/- pins on the opamps was interchanged. That is correct. Not a good thing.
2) There was a power trace that was missing.

I have several time pointed out that is was a bad idea not to have 24.576MHz clock onboard. From what i could see from windows is that it freezes when the clock still was 22.5792MHz.

I was talked into making test on Snakeoil linux which i have no experience with at all. Because it failed but i did know it was working under windows as long as the clocks matches 22.5792.

Yes it does maybe take 5 minutes to test under Snakeoil if you know it. But if not it is very time consuming.

Because of the two last errors i agreed to make a change in design so that mike would receive a DAC board only and a new USB input board as well that was made from the ground up.

He have never paid for that board nor have i ever asked to pay for the development of that board. He finally settled for 2 clocks because the errors shown on Snakeoil was Master clock related.

Then there was issue with the XMOS firmware. Latest version of the XMOS firmware did not work with DSD. So we needed to roll back to earlier versions of the software. That has also be time consuming.

Now i just want to get on sending out boards and continue finishing the products. And the prototype boards for PureUSB and Purestream is hopefully in the etching process.

BR

Sonny

Sonny,

I don't think the issue here is related to you making a few design errors. I think it's more of an issue that you told Mike several times, starting from early July, that you ordered PCB's, when in fact you did not at all. You claimed just last week that you were already in possession of the Motherboards, and was just waiting for the USB boards. Now you are saying they're hopefully in the etching process. It is lies that Mike doesn't like. Not the fact that you are prone to making human error like everyone is.

I think Mike will be pleased if you live up to your promise this time. And he will wipe that thread clear from his forum if you do.

Sonny,

I don't think the issue here is related to you making a few design errors. I think it's more of an issue that you told Mike several times, starting from early July, that you ordered PCB's, when in fact you did not at all. You claimed just last week that you were already in possession of the Motherboards, and was just waiting for the USB boards. Now you are saying they're hopefully in the etching process. It is lies that Mike doesn't like. Not the fact that you are prone to making human error like everyone is.

I think Mike will be pleased if you live up to your promise this time. And he will wipe that thread clear from his forum if you do.

The boards last week should have been there but i tried to tell Mike. That i would not mount the boards before the usb board was ready. And i wanted to pick up the boards when the usb board was ready. That was Friday.

Friday it turns out that the board was not even put in production by the people i work together with. But i made sure that it happend Friday. And that in a prototype run which is very expensive. So they boards ends up costing more than he have every paid.

Oh and the 20 boards from july. Count!
IMG_20181125_213309.jpg

BR

Sonny

Attachments

• IMG_20181125_213309.jpg
    IMG_20181125_213309.jpg
    982.5 KB · Views: 120
The boards last week should have been there but i tried to tell Mike. That i would not mount the boards before the usb board was ready. And i wanted to pick up the boards when the usb board was ready. That was Friday.

Friday it turns out that the board was not even put in production by the people i work together with. But i made sure that it happend Friday. And that in a prototype run which is very expensive. So they boards ends up costing more than he have every paid.

Oh and the 20 boards from july. Count!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

BR

Sonny

I thought the boards from July were lost by DHL? Those look like the boards from August.

TUSB212. Aha.
Another client induced design error. And he had the face to blame it on You all the time

According to Sonny it didn't work because the PCB's had the traces bridged together. He seen this on all of the boards after magnifying 47x with his microscope. I highly doubt Mike requested that the traces should be bridged together so the PCB's are scrap.

From Mike's email:

"Yesterday after 11 hours on the USB conditioner i have found out what is done wrong but also that the PCB manufacture even if the say that the can handle down to 3.5mil distance between tracks and i use 4mil distance i had a short between DP and DM on all the boards. I had to scrape of the black soldermask and magnify 47 times to see it."

Last edited: