• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.

USB, isolation and the JitterBug

Right now there is a stir about the JitterBug and devices like it (AudioQuest JitterBug USB noise filter | Stereophile.com Anyone tried it with Sonnys DAC? I remember Sonny said something about isolation but as I write this from bed I have not been able to find it. But he did say something about him taking extra care in the "housekeeping" around the dac chip itself. All the best.

Sonny, been following this thread with interest and got a couple of questions.

In case someone wants to upgrade the clocks in the future, does the board provide pads for smaller clocks, for example NDK NZ2520SD, which is quite small footprint?

Is it possible for you to fit the opamp output shield with ADA4898 instead of ADA4627?

Also, is the early bird deal still running for the DAC + discrete output shield combo? when does the deal end?

Thanks! -jani

Intend to use soekris R2R dual mono dac with output shield ,in that case DSD filter can play pcm too?

Best
Myint

I have to look into it. I will get back , i has to read about the output of the soekris dac.

Sonny, been following this thread with interest and got a couple of questions.

In case someone wants to upgrade the clocks in the future, does the board provide pads for smaller clocks, for example NDK NZ2520SD, which is quite small footprint?

Is it possible for you to fit the opamp output shield with ADA4898 instead of ADA4627?

Also, is the early bird deal still running for the DAC + discrete output shield combo? when does the deal end?

Thanks! -jani

I Think the clock has same pinout . So if the pads are just touching the pads on the pcb it is possible. I will check it tomorrow .

It is possible to get the output shield with ada4898. Just specify when ordering.

I will let the early bird deal run to the 13-09-2015

Right now there is a stir about the JitterBug and devices like it (AudioQuest JitterBug USB noise filter | Stereophile.com Anyone tried it with Sonnys DAC? I remember Sonny said something about isolation but as I write this from bed I have not been able to find it. But he did say something about him taking extra care in the "housekeeping" around the dac chip itself. All the best.

My DAC does not use the +5V VBUS for other than detecting that the host is running. So conditioning of the +5V does not influence the sound.

The conditioning of the signal pairs is another matter. It can go both ways with the Jitterbug make the digital signal quality better or worse. I have not tested so i cannot comment on the jitterbug.

Maybe the XpressO-ULTRA which has same package is a good upgrade, but the phase noise seems not as good as the one of NDK.
BTW, the discrete output shied looks promising to me. I am looking forward to the performance of preamp board.

The Preamp board is just around the corner.

I am confused... Are we talking extended early bird on the discrete shield? Why talking opamps then? And what about the balanced - and the SE + balanced version? Could you list the (3?) different shields w specs, price, etc. Thanks. BTW what opamp resides in my singleended / default shield?

I have extended the early bird to next sunday (13-09-15) because i have used longer time to finish it.

The reason why i talk opamps is that i want to make a comparison. That's the only reason. To let people make a choice based on my comparison.

And what about the balanced - and the SE + balanced version? What do you mean!????

I will put up the price table later today.

The opamp that resides on the shields as default is ADA4627-1.

BR

Sonny

My DAC does not use the 5V VBUS for other than detecting that the host is running. So conditioning of the 5V does not influence the sound. The conditioning of the signal pairs is another matter. It can go both ways with the Jitterbug make the digital signal quality better or worse. I have not tested so i cannot comment on the jitterbug.
Look forward to that :)
I have extended the early bird to next sunday (13-09-15) because i have used longer time to finish it.
Yes, for the discrete version.
The reason why i talk opamps is that i want to make a comparison. That's the only reason. To let people make a choice based on my comparison.
Much appreciated.
"And what about the balanced - and the SE balanced version?" What do you mean!????
Just tried to memorize the different versions of the output shield. SE, BAL and SE BAL DISCRETE, right?
I will put up the price table later today.
Great. Thanks :)
The opamp that resides on the shields as default is ADA4627-1
I found out after I posted. Thanks for the answers and sorry for the confusion. All the best, Per

Fast, great attack. Tight bass.

Gotta get on with my day, but it's not easy. :)

Testing so far's been SE output only - later tonight / tomorrow I'll test balanced out. I expect more of the same; maybe slightly better imaging. Hard to imagine though.

Again - excellent work Sonny!

Last edited:
Hey MisterRogers,

I started my listening sessions late last night and I must confess, you are totally right on the spot with your listening impressions. I thought the ADA4898 was really good (and it is) but this output stage just blow me out of my socks. I gave it 72 hours of burn in before starting to listen to it. Tomorrow I plan on taking a few hours at moderate level and fully compare it with the ADA4898.

Sonny, I can only give you praise! Continue the excellent work!

Do

Hey MisterRogers,

I started my listening sessions late last night and I must confess, you are totally right on the spot with your listening impressions. I thought the ADA4898 was really good (and it is) but this output stage just blow me out of my socks. I gave it 72 hours of burn in before starting to listen to it. Tomorrow I plan on taking a few hours at moderate level and fully compare it with the ADA4898.

Sonny, I can only give you praise! Continue the excellent work!

Do

Excellent stuff!

How does a guy go about getting a hold of Sonny? I tried his email but no response. If I share the same opinion as you guys, I will order couple hundred of these DAC's with the discrete output stages.

The email I tried was:

mail@mirand-audio.dk