AK4396: best solution for output stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which opamps did you try

Hurtig said:

Exactly my point. Audio isn't about specifications. And the only thing these new op-amps improve on, really is specifications. You are really arguing against yourself :xeye:

The best audio-gear I know, does not use new ultra fast semiconductors. And that's why I don't believe that better technology in op-amps, will lead to better sonic performance by itself.
When the semiconductor industry realize that thay need to use their ears to create good audio performance, I think we may have a chance of getting op-amps that will beat the NE553x. But as long as an "Audio" rated op-amp, really just is an op-amp with low THD, noise and high bandwidth, we are still so far away!

Sorry, I can't help myself. I am not arguing against myself, I have not said a single word about the spec of the opamp.
I have heard both the 553x and lm4562 and I pick the lm4562. And that is the end of it.
Ok, really, I stop here.

Now if u try a decent tranny out and tell us how it sound, this will be really nice...

I tried a fair few different opamps over the years but all influence sound too much, some too bright and brittle, some little tonal contrast, some pessimistic with a negative air as though your taking them away from something else they'd prefer doing instead, some confused and smeary through parts of audio range,some muddy bass, bad soundstageing, etc. the list goes on.:bawling:

Eventualy i realised they are varying degrees of bad. Now i prefer to swap caps to alter sound.

Main listening is through a mulit-chip non-os with passive I/V , maybe something to do with no opamp in output but to me it feels more together natural and atmospheric less processed and artificial.

The discrete Zap filter and Burson Audio gets positive comments, have no experience of either just yet. Eventually will try Zapfilter in soundcards

The word is getting out on this transformer stuff and even the Ebay stuff is getting pricey. What you want is a high quality 600/600 ohm line trafo that can handle about a +15DB or more signal, that's about 5V or so. I don't think a mic transformer is stout enough.
You'll need a simple filter scheme on the primaries and secondaries to help get rid of the nasties up in the ultrasonic area, but it is well away of the audio band. A couple resisters in series with the primaries along with a small cap across it eliminates any crap coming out of the chip.
Choice of transformers is wide open and as deep as your pockets are.
I ended up using a pair of Sescom MI-14s I got off Ebay for 50 bucks, and I was floored by the results.
People are using Triads, UTC, Tamuras, Sowters, Lundahls, Jensens, the list is almost endless.
Jensen's website has some application notes for Voltage out DACs with filter schemes that are suitable and unobtrusive, a great place to start looking.
Check out the other DIY DAC thread on this forum, plenty of info.

Best, Bill

panomaniac said:
For off the shelf transformers the Jensens are hard to beat. (But I have not heard Cinemag).

I'm glad that the transformer DAC output is finally getting popular. It's a nice way to go.

A+ here for Cinemag. Very good transformers. I would probably
pick one over a Lundahl.

Some direct comparisons:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/session9.htm

Go to the end of page and download the samples with ADK opamp
and various transformers. The differences are surprising.

I'd be interested in which one people here prefer.

cheers

Terry

Hurtig said:
@ Thomas:
I do know a better solution for the AK4396. But since I will launch it in a CS4398 based DAC soon, I really can't reveal to much.
It is the product of about 4 years of developement and listening tests, and may very well set a new standard for digital audio gear.

You could start by cloning the LC Audio ZAPFilter. Maybe upgrade it, by using a push-pull output. This will most likely kick some op-amp ***.

hurtig, in my CDplayer I have a Zapfilter discrete output stage directly after the balanced Vout coming from the DAC. How can I implement this push-pull output upgrade in the Zap.? Would be great if you can give guidance (to not threadcr. PM me)
You know lars clausen, he has new DEXA gold output stage. Looks really nice.. would be nice if anyone knows its "sound impact". after a dac chip mentioned in this thread, eg CS4398

aircondition said:

hurtig, in my CDplayer I have a Zapfilter discrete output stage directly after the balanced Vout coming from the DAC. How can I implement this push-pull output upgrade in the Zap.? Would be great if you can give guidance (to not threadcr. PM me)
You know lars clausen, he has new DEXA gold output stage. Looks really nice.. would be nice if anyone knows its "sound impact". after a dac chip mentioned in this thread, eg CS4398

It's not really that easy, to implement a Push Pull output on a ZAPFilter. It is made 100% single ended.
To implement a PP output, you must make a new PCB for the output stage. And then you might as well just replace the ZAPFilter completely.

I will consider making such a analog stage, based on the experiences we made during the developement of our DAC.

I know that Lars made a new line stage, but I have no idea how it performs. But since he also made the ZAPFilter, I would guess the sound will be more or less like that...

Youre right then we could also replace the ZAPf completely. Dont know how to otherwise get the at times aggressive sound away. That either the zapfilter "lets through" from recording Or comes from the zap itself- its almost too much hifi in music reproduction hehe . I like it when it is more euphonic and not steril

Hurtig said:
..But since he also made the ZAPFilter, I would guess the sound will be more or less like that...

Looks there are cmf55 resistors, transistors and film caps (mundorf mcap 10uf) used on this board.
http://www.nasotec-shop.com/goods/images/20090310121301b.jpg and http://www.nasotec-shop.com/shop/step1.php?number=609
What do you think

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.