Air Motion Transformers (Heil's) and New Diaphragms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Promitheous, I cannot answer your question re which side is the front of a Heil diaphragm but would suggest it does not matter. The thing that counts is the polarity of the connection to the crossover network. The question then arises as to how to get this right. If you have a microphone put it between your good heil and the repaired one while they are facing one another and measure the level of a steady signal such as a 1kHz tone fed to both. If you disconnect the repaired Heil and the level goes down you have the connection right. If it comes up you have it wrong. The reason it may come up is that the two Heils are in antiphase causing acoustic cancellation. Removing one or other of them will remove the cancellation null and give you a higher reading.
Keith

Hello,
mine don´t have any marks but I think if the wires from the diapragm come out from the same side that means that the 2 diaphragms are in the same direction and then you have to connect the same colours to + polarity. other than that I think the tweeters dont have a polarity. The front and back are the same.
I have tried all kinds of connections and never heard a difference.
Greetings

ESS USA

Hello billman sorry for the delay in thanking you for getting me the German web address for ESS. I immediately sent an email to the address contact listed inquiring as to the availability and price for their NEW 1e's and also their model 11's which looked interesting, but so far no response.

Hello Annette&rick what's happening with ESS USA? I spoke with you, Mr. Caudillo (Ricky) on the phone and you told me you preferred to be contacted by email, I wrote to you at ricky@starvision.us, as seen in these forums, but so far no response. In our feb. 08 call you told me that Leo David decided not to sell ESS and that you were in the process of moving the operation to Los Angeles, CA and that products should be ready in about 3 months. I hope this is still happening and that we will have an ESS USA. At the German web site they mentioned that their "new and improved" AMT would be using an "ultrathin aluminium-Teflon-aluminium diaphragm". I recall reading in these forums that Teflon was tried before with diminished sound quality. You told me that you were going back to Dr. Heils original patents and re-reading his notes and were going to stay true to the original design and materials which gave the "great Heil" it's still unparalleled sound.
Maybe you can't use the ESS name anymore but you might get away with ESS USA and a slightly modified logo, or maybe "Heil" or "AMT", I'm sure you guys will think of something. And please this time don't forget the Home Theater market, I'm sure you know this is one of, if not the, fastest growing part of the consumer electronics industry. The "great Heils" coupled with other smaller drivers to cover the 80Hz to Heil range and a 15-18 inch powered or unpowered subwoofer would make a killer Home Theater setup! This along with the original models would bring ESS back with a BOOM! I wish you the greatest success.
Please let us all know what's going on and how things are progressing.
Thanks.
Refugio Carrillo
<rvcarrillo1000@yahoo.com>

Joined 2006
Paid Member
And they have a web-site......... not that there is much info on it yet - such as a frequency response curve etc. :rolleyes:

http://www.essspeakersusa.com/index.html

It's good to see them make a go of getting the great Heil's back into production. I have a pair made back in the '80's and love 'em. Still one of the better mid - hi freq. transducers ever made IMO. I would not cross mine below 3kHz tho - :xeye:

It would be interesting to find out if the new units really will do 800Hz but I doubt that there is enough surface area to go that low.

I prefer to use the Heils above 7K and a good mid range or full range for 300 - 7K and a pro woofer below 300 - (critical listening range). I'm getting ready to try something like that in OB as the next project. :D :D :D

theAnonymous1 said:
So maybe now my dream of an AMT line array can finally come true. It will only cost $7,800 (12 per side)!!!!

FWIW, I remember Magnetar (banned :() once mentioning in an email that he did that, and implied that he wasn't at all satisfied with the result. I never asked him why though, so who knows. Maybe it had something to do with the vertical dispersion characteristics of each driver? No idea. I guess maybe I should have brought it up and asked him. Oh well, I have no plans of spending that much towards a shot in the dark (far too many costly mistakes in the past!), but a lot of people around here obviously do.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
dshortt9 said:
Actually, 98db at 2.83v is 92db at 1W. I think?

I have 16R 10w resistors to bring mine into line with the mid woofer which is 92db - but I'm running it in a simi-Walsh configuration so it isn't putting out 92db anymore, plus it has a Mamboni treatment on it that knocks it down as well. Still - my old AMT1's can put things out pretty good - and sound great doing it!!

:D

newbie here

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board-I found it by searching for info about my ESS AMT3 rock monitors. I inherited them from my late father who bought them in the mid '70s. They have the clear diaphragms with no mesh and I know that these are original. They still sound great with my Arcam C31 preamp and NAD 2400 poweramp. Can do these diaphragms eventually fail or do they last indefinitely?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: newbie here

vinylguy said:
Hi everyone. I'm new to the board-I found it by searching for info about my ESS AMT3 rock monitors. I inherited them from my late father who bought them in the mid '70s. They have the clear diaphragms with no mesh and I know that these are original. They still sound great with my Arcam C31 preamp and NAD 2400 poweramp. Can do these diaphragms eventually fail or do they last indefinitely?

Hi vinylguy - and Welcome to diyAudio!!! :D :D :D

The AMT 3 Rock Monitors are my favorite ESS speaker - but even with the 2 10 inch woofers it can use a little help on the low end so consider using a sub woofer with 'em. The diaphragms can last for a very long time if not abused but if you need replacements Parts Express carries them now as well as Simplyspeakers.com.

I would suspect that the surrounds on the mid's and woofer cones are close to needing replacement due to age and the cross-over networks used components that aren't up to today's standards (good DIY project). If I had those speakers I'd replace the cone mid's and woofers as well as the cross-overs. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.