AE dipole15 D8 and ESS AMT I X/O setting on OB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Active or passive? In any case I'd start around 1200hz LR4. The heil might/will need a boost at 2400hz with a Q 1.5. That will help match up the xo levels. The woofer may need a helper knee also at around 1320hz Q 2.0 -1db just to get it out of the heils way.

Long term think of some subs you can place in the room for lf duties. I like larger mids ,too.

Active or passive? In any case I'd start around 1200hz LR4. The heil might/will need a boost at 2400hz with a Q 1.5. That will help match up the xo levels. The woofer may need a helper knee also at around 1320hz Q 2.0 -1db just to get it out of the heils way.

Long term think of some subs you can place in the room for lf duties. I like larger mids ,too.

Don't be so specific! The heil is unfortunately inconsistent. The original diaphragms had different responses from each of the following generations.

Thanks a lot. I would try passive first.

I like larger mids ,too.
It's not a matter of liking...
A design using a 15" and a tweeter needs a midrange, and if it's an OB design it needs it more.
I think that you can imagine an OB design different from monopole design but with the same speakers, just raise at max the bass control of your preamplifier.
The woofer will suffer much of IMD if midrange is asked from it, so better leave the midrange to a specialized unit.
Or, applying the lowshelving to the woofer, the midrange speaker can be chosen from average drivers, full range or similar. In this case, the one that fits
:D

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
To succeed you need to; a) go active and DSP filters, b) have measure possibilities. Choose the 15 wisely and give specific attention to the upper behaviour of it. Less sharp peaks the better - yet extended range.

Good luck - it'll be fun!

//

Hi badman.
I remember checking that very concept back when you were experimenting with the heil horn. My experience doesn't line up with the assertion of improved 1-2khz response. All I perceived was an altered sound stage and reduced stereo image. I'm not big on eq myself but it is required to some degree in that frequency area.

I should qualify my last post to include the diaphragm has short comings in the frequency area mentioned. Placing a horn,of any type , won't improve on a response that isn't there to start with. OB configuration may see a frequency cancellation improvement by adding a baffle configuration as such:

<[heil]>

My setup then had the open end of the V's lined up with the plastic case depth and the V tip extended out about 5". This didn't alter imaging at all. I've sinced moved to monopole use of the heil in a "sort of" econowave type system. Just what I was looking for.

Hi kec.

I included a quick mock up of the heil baffle used with the OB system.

The other two are of the arrangement now.

I also removed the mesh veil on both diaphragms. This lowered the peak around 6-7khz by about 3-4db. Removal also brought back some sonic details I remember that the originals had. Oddly, the veils seemed adhered in spots acting as would a damping effect. Both diaphragms measured much closer to each other afterwards as well.

Attachments

• 20191213_142213.jpg
    20191213_142213.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 20191213_142730.jpg
    20191213_142730.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 20191213_142258.jpg
    20191213_142258.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 20191213_142714.jpg
    20191213_142714.jpg
    843.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
It's not a matter of liking...
A design using a 15" and a tweeter needs a midrange, and if it's an OB design it needs it more.
I think that you can imagine an OB design different from monopole design but with the same speakers, just raise at max the bass control of your preamplifier.
The woofer will suffer much of IMD if midrange is asked from it, so better leave the midrange to a specialized unit.
Or, applying the lowshelving to the woofer, the midrange speaker can be chosen from average drivers, full range or similar. In this case, the one that fits
:D

Actually, I have used a 15" driver directly with a dipole tweeter formed from two 1" domes, back to back, in a recent project (see attached pic). The only way this is possible is if:
1. The tweeter can be crossed over pretty low, below 2kHz
2. The woofer can play pretty high, e.g. to almost 2kHz or more
3. The woofer must be used "nude"
There are very few 15" woofers that can do it. I would have to measure the AE driver to know for sure, both on and off axis.

But even with this strange pairing, I had to add a subwoofer below about 150-200Hz because of the dipole losses on the 15". But when crossed over there, the system was capable of some pretty good SPL and the bass (from an M-frame) was impressive. Do NOT try to make a 2-way nude dipole, and even most 2-way open baffle speaker designs will have lots of issues.

P.S. I have no idea why the picture is rotated 90 degrees. It is not on my computer. Forum software to blame?

Attachments

• IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG
    895.1 KB · Views: 115
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.