Advice on MTM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys.
Got a good price on the faital pro 8fe200 so... I bought 4! Then I bought 2 faital hf100 compression drivers along with the sth100 tractrix horns (70 vert x 80 horizontal coverage)

I would like to try a pair of high efficiency MTM (vertical) setup with these or more like a WCW!

I've read that driver spacing should be based on crossover point and the closer the drivers the better. With the sth100 horn between the two 8" woofers there's 6.5" center to center, which (I think) is close to 2000hz, if I'm right this seems a good point to xover based on frequency response charts of the woofer & cd and in general. Am I right? Would this work well?

I intend to use a pair of (Bill Fitzmaurice) Tuba 18 subs with those MTM's crossed at around 80hz'ish. 80hz and probably lower too seems possible based on what was shown in winisd.

Btw I would be using an active crossover (cx2310)

Any advice, any thoughts on using these drivers in an mtm configuration? Thanks

If you are really set to build an mtm, then the best you can do is to
reduce the ctc distances as much as you can and reduce the XO point
as well. I would advise to get a dsp XO solution so you have a lot more
options to voice the speakers along with delay adjustment. Without
measurements, a shot in the dark.

Of course, you're absolutely free to decide what works best for you.

I think i'm set on going MTM, I kind of tried it using 2 seperate sealed boxes for the 8" stacked on top each other with one upside down to bring the 2 woofers closer and of course the compression driver in between them :D crossed over at 2khz. I know.. not ideal but they sounded big and dynamic and I like that! I would however want to get the best out of them using the correct enclosures and all. I plan on getting the ECM 8000 mic to do some measurments too.

I would advise to get a dsp XO solution so you have a lot more
options to voice the speakers along with delay adjustment.
I am considering the minidsp but waiting till I sell the CX2310, I'm guessing when you say 'delay adjusments' you're talking about delaying the mains to be time aligned with the bass horn sub? if so the horn path is about 7' long.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.