Active Xover with USB DAC or "sound card"?

Not many options for USB devices that can be used as a DSP/Xover for running 2 way active speakers? After lots of looking I've only found minidsp 2x4hd, sound blaster X3 and X4, and Asus Zonar U7.

So few options exist? There's like hundreds of single channel/headphone output USB DAC's.... but none have the ability to be used as active crossovers due to having only one output.
What are people using? I bought a used X3 and played some music (before trying it with apps to control 2 channels for the xover) and it doesn't sound clean enough to me to consider using it. I'm assuming the X4 is worse, as it's specs are worse. Then the minidsp 2x4hd has a rather poor review on audiosciencereview, and some people say the top end is missing some clarity. I'm coming from a pretty decent DAC I guess, or the X3 is this bad? So I'm worried the minidsp will sound worse too.. will it?

Any other decent performing mulitchannel output DAC I can buy without selling a kidney? It seems to be slim pickings. Also I prefer line-level output, or RCA.

OTOH you could use the DM7 with TRS to cinch adapter cables. But in that case you must make sure that the ring connection is left floating, so only using the tip connection for signal + and sleeve connection for signal -. The penalty for doing so would be 6db less output level and higher distortion levels since you will be picking up the common-mode distortion products that would be rejected by going fully balanced.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
For two outputs I'm using an old M-AUDIO interface, Debian Linux v 12 and CamillaDSP. My goal with this was learning how to use this program.

Crossed channels @ 250Hz or so, buffers and full ranges. I have a more recent focusrite scarlett 2i2 gen 2 and I read somewhere that it's hard to control the two channels but I still haven't tried.

I like this approach. If I get the CamillaDSP input from the interface so that I use the computer for EQ I'll add some latency, not sure what the achievable minimum is but not a problem for streaming.

Attachments

• 1709822137082.png
    1709822137082.png
    380.6 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: 1 user
OTOH you could use the DM7 with TRS to cinch adapter cables. But in that case you must make sure that the ring connection is left floating, so only using the tip connection for signal + and sleeve connection for signal -. The penalty for doing so would be 6db less output level and higher distortion levels since you will be picking up the common-mode distortion products that would be rejected by going fully balanced.
Hey, thanks for the replies! -I was reading up on the units you mentioned and then couldn't find my post here, lol..just found it again now.

Those are some great options you mentioned, no doubt! Actually it led me down a rabbit-hole of discoveries as I started looking into audio interfaces. I'm looking pretty heavily at the DM7 or the Motu M4.. seems like either one would work well for a 2-way active speaker setup with my current gear.

Apparently i could also use HDMI from my computer to my AVR.. that's another interesting option.. actually I just started playing around with that a few days ago and find many more rabbit holes full of info about XO's via software.

Anyways, just wanted to thank you for your advice.. bless up!

Oh and one update: the Sound Blaster X3 I was using I discovered actually had issues.. because I ran across another on FB marketplace and questioned the seller and he thought mine must be bad.. I have his hooked up now and turns out the first I'd bought was definitely having issues with noise on the output! This "new" X3 actually sounds pretty clean, though I think there's still room for improvement with something like a Topping DM7 or Motu M4 (or other options mentioned in this post).

Anyways, just wanted to say for anyone reading this also looking for USB options.. my new opinion is that for $54 (used) the X3 is a pretty sweet deal as a starting place for learning/testing active Xovers!