Acoustical notch filter for TPL-150

Oneoclock generously sent me parts to experiment with my horns and his acoustic filter.​

The results are amazing, the problem I had mentionned earlier in the thread is now gone, the tweeter have a more relax presentation and now need next to no correction. They sound so good they are now staying in my system and I will be looking to rebuild my temporary horns with probably an expansion on the vertical plane.

PXL_20220117_213616317.jpg
PXL_20220131_011217791.jpg
PXL_20220131_011209819.jpg

Some measurements :

Red is with the AF installed, blue without (1m)
tpl-150_jmlc_wood_with_without_AF.jpg

Something is happening to two peak I had in the GD, they are now gone
tpl jmlc with without phase plug GD.jpg

This is without the AF 0-15-30 degres (1m)
tpl-150_jmlc_wood_without_AF-0-15-30.jpg

This is with 0-15-30 degres (1m)
tpl-150_jmlc_wood_with_AF-0-15-30.jpg

I also have experimented with Luis horns, they do better than my JMLC in the vertical plane but the JMLC off axis are better. I will be experimenting with his dual horns setup next and see if it beat my JMLC with the acoustif filter.

I'm really happy to have found a way to get good performance with the tpl-150, thanks a lot Luis for your hard work on this.

Reactions: 1 user
closed account
Joined 2007
I could confirm myself what was observed here about wide baffles.

I built a 40cm wide hard cardboard baffle and suddenly I had a plateau, about 5db more at 1khz, decreasing to 2db at 2khz and then quickly vanishing.

This was reflected in the overall response of my system which, without that baffle, is actually quite flat from 500hz to 5khz, with a tiny dip (2db) at 1khz and a slightly larger and deeper one at 3khz — both however quite inconspicuous. The effect of the baffle was readily audible, the scene moved forward quite a bit and bass, treble, sounded more recessed (making bass instruments and high percussion sounding in the back). The effect was overall a bit unnatural.

Depending on the design, the use of EQ, etc, it can be a useful tool in the arsenal of the loudspeaker designer, I am not going for a baffle in my case.

For those who have installed the filter (TPL-150 - Filter.stl), could you please share your opinions on:
  • How easy is to install it in the original Waveguide? Do you have any pictures that shows how to do it?
  • What material was used to print the filter?

Thanks in advance !!!

I installed the front filter with the original Beyma waveguide. It was easy - just required trimming about 1mm in a couple of finns. No big deal.
Disassembly and reassembly was easy too (make sure your bolts are long enough or have new bolts readily available before disassembling.

I didn't take pictures.
Filter done on plastic - I didn't ask which.

Reactions: 1 user
Rebooting this thread…

Can anyone supply me the notch filter for a 200h

is there a recommended size for the rear enclosure and stuffing used ?

Reading it seems mounting on a wide baffle causes problems ? I was thinking of mounting my tpl 200h on a 19-20” baffle, the measurements are better with no baffle just the horn ?

Thanks