Acoustic Elegance - Worth the money?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well, since we are now on the weird ones :D

http://www.mivoc.com/downloads/de/mivoc/PDF/AWX184-Datenblatt.pdf

Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components

but again ... slightly overpriced, IMO

..doesn't count, the poster is looking for low Qts (..usually .26 or less). ;)

-and of course reasonably low cost as well in GB (along with a lower fs and higher xmax).

There are of course other lower Qts drivers out there, but most are either: higher in cost, lower in xmax, or higher in fs..

Perhaps the lowest Qts in the 15" driver grouping is the emspeaker B15.. but at about 1k US it's not likely to make it to the list.. :D

http://www.emspeaker.com/fiche_B15.pdf

..and no, Qe and Qts aren't typos.

Last edited:
I thought low Qts woofers were for horns only

ofcourse not always, but very often it seems you get early rolloff when calculating ordinary ported box

probably very good for loud SPL PA sound... but is it ok for hifi :scratch:

As long as the poster has active eq.. and enough power, it's largely irrelevant.

Basically it's all about Qe (Qes) for these drivers - high electrical damping on the VC, usually means the VC motion is more precise overall with a high narrow "Q" (Impedance) for the driver's fs.

Even in the compliance section of the driver below fs - a very low Qe usually maintains excellent VC position.

The down-side of course is that amplitude at lower freq.s is suppressed relative to higher freq.s.. In the context of horns this can be advantageous because most horns tend to elevate the lower freq.s vs. that of the higher freq.s - often "balancing-out" the freq. response as a result with a lower Qts driver.

Last edited:
I don't have any absolute direct comparison, and I won't battle a flame war, but:

I bought a pair of AE18's, they were touted as JBL 2242 killers. The AE had the same general sound character but were more than 5 full dB down across the spectrum. In measurement and music for me they did nothing better than the 2242 while taking nearly four times the power to do it. I tried to get mean with them but they seriously lacked the "get up and go" that the 2242's have.

Barry.
Interesting. The TD18H+ drivers (not "AE18") are rated at 98 dB/1W, only 1 dB less than the 2242. Are you saying this sensitivity spec is completely bogus? Did you save any of the measurements, because this is pretty big news...?

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the AE drivers. Having extremely low inductance, besides the correlation with a really high quality motor design (people upgrade from TAD drivers to AE - and the AE cost far less than TAD) - allows the designer the flexibility to cross the woofers much higher without a loss in fidelity/resolution than other woofers. Then one can take the polar pattern into consideration, and cross at the optimal point to match with whatever horn profile is being used - instead of compromising to make up for the shortcomings in the motor design of the woofer limiting the HF response.

Yes, I'm suggesting that the PD driver, while very very nice, is not comparable to the AE. I just looked at the PD spec sheet, and one can quickly see the very poor impedance curve indicative of no attention to inductance lowering measures. The driver would be fine if used as a subwoofer, crossed steeply below 100 Hz., but I wouldn't use anything like that in a 2-way design. It is not comparable to the AE driver.

In regards to the JBL 2242 vs. AE TD18+, my only suspicion is that the AE has lower distortion, and the additional output of the JBL driver was the 2nd harmonic, which would have made it sound louder. I had a similar experience comparing a JBL 2226 (itself a quality driver) against a Rythmik Audio DS15000 15" woofer (used in my Rythmik servo subwoofer). Both were compared sitting on the floor (as open baffle as it gets) with the same amplifier, same crossover filter, at the same output level, mic'd on-axis above them. The Rythmik driver was much quieter - due to having less distortion. It was a pleasure to hear only the fundamental and not much else. In JBL's defense, the 2226 isn't a subwoofer driver - it's a woofer, and so is optimized for a higher bandwidth range.

Just my $0.02. I've never really heard anyone be unhappy with AE drivers. I own 4 of the IB15 subwoofers, and they're fantastic.

cheers,
-Tal

More detailed information == better answers.

"I want to build a speaker similar to the ??? "

"I plan to use a ??? compression driver in a ??? horn/waveguide"
"The maximum speaker box volume is ???, maximum height is ???"
"My room is ??? sq ft with ??? physical challenges"
"The best speaker room placement is ???"
"I want ??? db/watt SPL efficiency"
"I ?will/not? have extra room bass woofers"
"I want _this_type_ of controlled directivity"
etc...

e.g. A high quality 2-way typically demands high quality drivers.(Lynn Olson thread strategy)
e.g. A high quality 3-way migh allow a low cost woofer, or a modest cost horn/waveguide compression driver (econowave thread strategy)

p.s. I have used over 40 Lambda AE speakers. The M-models have sound + BW + efficiency that is difficult to find in any other brand.

im exploring my taste.

i am coming from a B&W multiway that i'm not very keen on. yes its flat with its response but i have very good spatial hearing acuity and i can hear the signal moving from the drivers on certain harmonics. its annoys me and makes it slightly disorientating.

I have then gone through about a dozen full range drivers trying to find the set up I like. the smaller Mark Audio's are nice drivers but just can't do justice to dynamics of certain music.

I have moved up through the sizes and 8" is ok with bass dynamics but don't really give that same representation into the mid ranges.

I then heard an altec 604 coax set up and thought it was the way to go.

I have then tried a cone loaded coax, and due to the design constraints of such systems, didn't really like the distortion levels that the compression tended to give with such limited sizes BUT fell in love with how a compression driver can give fantastic detail and dynamics through all the frequencies.

THUSLY! I am now investigating a large compression driver in a horn, crossing as low as i can get it to keep the crossover away from the 1500-300hz range that im particularly easily offended in, with a dirty great big woofer digging as low as I can get it, without it being slurred and sluggish with its representation of the fundamental frequencies.

The Beyma CD i showed before seems to have the lowest relative distortion i've found within a reasonable budget, whilst giving the possibility of crossing down in the 500hz region.

Just need to figure out the best method of complimenting it with a woofer that is not necessarily limited to this project.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Before spending a ton of money on "experimentation" you might want to check out some designs on here:
Waveguide Speaker kits DIY Sound Group

All kits are highly recommended.

No one mentioned the Eminence Deltalite 2515II?
Eminence Deltalite II 2515 Neo 15" Driver 290-595

These are part of my mains, a 2-way with the SEOS-24. They are midbass drivers really, not much output below 80 Hz. But they have a really smooth, low distortion midrange, smooth HF roll off, and true 99db sensitivity.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of AE18's, they were touted as JBL 2242 killers. The AE had the same general sound character but were more than 5 full dB down across the spectrum. In measurement and music for me they did nothing better than the 2242 while taking nearly four times the power to do it. I tried to get mean with them but they seriously lacked the "get up and go" that the 2242's have.

Barry.

I have to say I've yet to hear better bottom octave reproduction then horn loaded Jbl 2242"s. They have stopped all thirst I had for better low bass. :p

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.