Acoustic Elegance - Worth the money?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
its got those nice specs for home use
but also very expencive

do you know this woofer ?

No, it's more a combination of spec.s coupled with the particular diaphragm.

I really like the sound of similar diaphragms on drivers - i.e. honeycomb core with composite skins like Eton. Tends to provide a high degree of clarity WITH tone, which is an unusual combination. Of course it also results in a nasty break-up region that needs to be dealt with if coming anywhere close to those freq.s for operational bandwidth.

130-160 gram moving mass 15" woofers seem to take a lot power to hear/wake-up - TD15M should be nice for some 2-ways

this was either a 15tbx40 or 15pzb40 compared to a JBL M151 - mic on ground - maybe the pzb due to HF extension. If I can stay alive then will use the pzb40 for some Econowaves. That 15FH520 looks like a good driver.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
ScottG,

AE TD15H have 14mm xmax, you think this is "lack" ??

cheers
henry

No, 14mm is excellent, but dissimilar from most lower Qts drivers in that respect. Most others tend to range anywhere from 3mm's to 8mm's.

The AE driver is however quite a bit more expensive when you factor-in shipping and import taxes when compared to what the poster can get in GB (..at least from Celestion and 18 Sound). On the other hand it's probably not more than the cost of *2* less expensive drivers.

Though I've not mentioned it before, I can't recommend the AE drivers.. (promised a friend.. resulting from a few people that have experienced serious customer service problems on their orders. Hopefully any issues have been resolved since then, but apparently the ordeal was so off-putting that I was requested to refrain from any future recommendations.)

Last edited:
The lambda motor used in the Acoustic Elegance TD series is state-of-the-art technology in a relatively low cost package. It offers very low distortion, fine power handling and extended high end response. The company is a small specialized manufacturer that is at the mercy of a variety of parts suppliers. Some of these are overseas have proven unreliable resulting in significant availability issues in the past. Current lead times on most drivers range from 2 to 4 weeks according to the AE website forum. The TD-12S drivers ordered this summer for a project arrived 3 weeks later and measured very close to specification. The results were well worth the cost and wait.

How important are the demodulation rings in woofers, if the crossover point is sub 1000hz?

I know it makes Le more linear and reduces distortion, but how much of a difference is this going to make when compared to a well made unit without?

Usually not much.

It really needs to be measured as an HD sweep to get a good general impression of it's non-linear performance.

I was looking for a low QTS woofer.

To cross to this compression driver (in a horn) anywhere between 500-1000hz.

Active EQ system to dial into room.

More detailed information == better answers.

"I want to build a speaker similar to the ??? "

"I plan to use a ??? compression driver in a ??? horn/waveguide"
"The maximum speaker box volume is ???, maximum height is ???"
"My room is ??? sq ft with ??? physical challenges"
"The best speaker room placement is ???"
"I want ??? db/watt SPL efficiency"
"I ?will/not? have extra room bass woofers"
"I want _this_type_ of controlled directivity"
etc...

e.g. A high quality 2-way typically demands high quality drivers.(Lynn Olson thread strategy)
e.g. A high quality 3-way migh allow a low cost woofer, or a modest cost horn/waveguide compression driver (econowave thread strategy)

p.s. I have used over 40 Lambda AE speakers. The M-models have sound + BW + efficiency that is difficult to find in any other brand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.