Acoustic Elegance Issues

Anyone have any idea if it would be feasible to suspend a Dipole 18 OB AE driver from a 10mm eyelet screwed into the mounting hole on the rear of the magnet? I am toying with the idea of suspending these in a sonotube h-frame from the ceiling...Of course I sent email to AE asking but as anyone who has tried contacting them knows, getting a reply from them is next to impossible....Thanks.

I can almost guarantee this is NOT what AE is thinking. It's just a rubber gasket, they have been around forever; why over think it? They of course are your drivers so if you want to contemplate woofer mounting schemes for months, well have at it I guess....
I just today came across the thread. It was a simple and genuine question given the data on cabinet noise reduction from isolating the drivers that I had read. No need to be dismissive.

Reactions: 1 user
I will not use them going forward, I have had a few cross thread or spin out. Now to be fair, I had good results once, but got a batch that were terrible. In good plywood, likely not an issue. MDF, I'd stick with drywall screws or metal screws.

I experienced an M6 bolt cross thread into a T-nut. It was done by hand and oddly there was little indication of such until it was about 1/3 the way in. It came to a stop and wouldn’t even back out - I could watch the bolt bending/twisting under the torque of the No.3 screwdriver. I had to use penetrating fluid to release the galled bits of metal. It was actually hot when I finally turned it out. I then ran a 6mm tap in it to clear the threads.

Apparently, I am the Hulk.

There was, however, no fear of the T-nut releasing from the wood in that case. It was balanced piano board, a pressed particle board pressure glued under tons of force with 3mm plywood on both faces. That stuff is amazing - it’s hard as nails and doesn’t warp or swell. I like high-density fibre board for machined finishes, but MDF is not great on its own.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
re-opening this after seeing measurements from isolating drivers by not actually screwing them into the front baffle

Not something i would do. It will reduce vibrations from the driver getting to the baffle (and the rest of the loudpeaker), but to do that you end up with all that energy now isolated to the driver with the net result of reducing DDR — ie reducng resolution.

I take thge opposite approach, maximizing energy transfer to the box but sharing iy over many panels so that no one panel has its potential resonances excited.

The measures you saw did not show the whole picture.

If one wants to eliminate coupling between box and driver the wat Fujitsu 10 doea it with the cabinet floating around the driver, but the driver connected to a significant mass outside the cabinet. A nightmare to build i am sure.

dave