Acoustat Answer Man is here

Here a pic of your 131 interfaces..pic1..........an Schematics for the 141..pic2.cant find one for the 131......C-mod well work in the 141....so it should work in the 131 pic3.....................you can search??? info all here...
I took it that you had 1+1s with the fullrang interfaces....my bad
but see the bias in the 141 Schematics it just like yours.....theres caps an diodes.............replace all...are have someone ck it......good luck

Attachments

• 5554-7[1].jpg
    5554-7[1].jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 185
  • MK-141[1].png
    MK-141[1].png
    68.1 KB · Views: 186
  • MK-121C_upgrade[1][1].gif
    MK-121C_upgrade[1][1].gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 192
As TYU says, a refurb of the interfaces and the c mod you will have completely different speakers. I had my 121's for my M3's done by Roy Esposito of Sounds Like New, as I don't know a soldering iron from a lit cigarette. I think I might have even lit a cigarette with one sometime.

That refurb along with an amp suited to driving low impedance speakers turned my $300 investment into lifetime speakers.

Oh yeah, the reason I originally came here this pm. Acting once again on TYU's advice, I pulled the felt off the back of my speakers and used tape to cover the same area. Again the improvement was immediately noticeable.

I just want to say if you haven't tried these 2 little, easily reversible mods, loosening the screws and replacing the felt with tape, you owe it to your ears to at least give them a try...

Long Live Acoustats!

It would seem the felt is there to provide some absorption of certain frequencies and reflect others forward. It may aid by making the speakers easier to position in relation to the rear wall. It may also have to do with smoothing out the sound from early CD players which could be gratingly harsh in the top end. Just guessing...

The Felt work well control panel ringing.............But...it as so eats high frc...an adds mass.......too the panels......this is not needed......stop panel ringing...YES
when you have panels that also putout low frc on the same mylar....it tuff to get the best topend off the same mylar......the best topend would come off a none moveing mylar.......
so we wont an need all we can get....well I do!
the best sounding....that the tape that dose not add to the sound....that we found...is paper type paneter tape.....................................you can put the pades back if you fell you need to.......all you have to lose is a little time....I did not come up with this tweek!

Last edited:
Ok I plan to try the tape instead of the felt pads. Painter tape you said tyu, this is the same as masking tape? Tape exactly where the felt was?
Tried two tweakes yesterday. First placed vibropod isolators (model 5 which can take the most weight) under the bases, two in the back corners and one in middle front. Very helpful given my uneven floor. Second, I applied sound coat dampening adhesive sheet to the back of the panel frames particularly around the (loosened) bolts holding the panels. Nice tightening up of bass, everything seems a little better, particularly the soundstage with less sound seeming to come from the panels themselfs. Better centerfill and imaging. Not a huge difference, but noticeable and worthwhile.

I have made my frames out of all wood......but all stock frames I have had....less some one pulled it off .........under ea panels....there resting on a thin felt type ribbon....black... it to can be removed...... an added back.....what sounds right to you
I have not used this felt ribbon in years.....
best sound I have got ...just the panel with some of the lites type tape on the back ......we tried duck type tape ....to much mass....but the mylar dose need support from the back....front.....were the felt pads on the back is a good place to start..............
by taking the tape from the back at the top of the panels ...I just peal it down a little.. so I can add it back...it like tuneing the sound of the panels........you well see ....this well give a .....biger soundstage .....biger image....don't get lost..... you need some support on the panels..........................
long live Acoustat panels......have fun in life...get better sound..............Diy

***MESSAGE FROM THE ACOUSTAT ANSWER MAN***

When I started this thread in February 2011, it was my intention to supply ‘factory’ advice to Acoustat owners, and in the process, I hoped to dispel some of the myth and fiction that has developed in the field since the end of Acoustat’s production in the US. The response has been absolutely overwhelming, with over 163,000 views and 1450 posts since the thread’s inception. I have appreciated and welcomed the technical expertise offered by the many DIY-er’s who know a lot more about ESL’s than I do. I receive immense personal satisfaction from helping Acoustat owners, many of whom are now second and third owners of their speakers.

However, as I monitor posts on this thread, it greatly distresses me to observe that this thread has become hijacked by a few individuals who, while perhaps meaning well, have suggested modifications to the speakers that seem inspired more by voodoo magic than science. I cannot, will not, use my time by attempting to respond to these suggestions, even when they create such a disservice to Acoustat owners to whom I have devoted hundreds of hours of volunteer time.

Therefore, I feel that my participation in this thread has run its course. I will continue to offer advice to those who need it if you send me a Private Message via DIY Audio, but I will reserve the right to respond only to questions related to maintaining speakers to factory specifications and design.

"However, as I monitor posts on this thread, it greatly distresses me to observe that this thread has become hijacked by a few individuals who, while perhaps meaning well, have suggested modifications to the speakers that seem inspired more by voodoo magic than science. I cannot, will not, use my time by attempting to respond to these suggestions, even when they create such a disservice to Acoustat owners to whom I have devoted hundreds of hours of volunteer time."

Andy I never intended to ....."greatly distresses you"....or "hijack your thread."...in anyway!
I have owned Acoustat speakers from the Xs with the tube sevo tube amps in the 80s...an10 or more pr of Acoustats over the years.............an still have Acoustat too day...

An as for any..
"modifications to the speakers that seem inspired more by voodoo magic than science. "

Any mods....were only posted after others an myself ....lived with for years.....an felt made a already great Speaker setup better......you no.... diy
all mods are tweeks....could always be setback to the stock setup...
an the main reason for posting the info here.... was were someone could find the info all togather

So any of my posts that..."greatly distresses you"... please have the diyAudio Moderator.....remove any tyu post you would like............or if I have to have them removed......just let me know please!

You being here means more to others an myself .....then any thing I have or wellever add...
thanks for your time Andy.....An please forgive me....

Last edited:
Very sad to hear this.,,

Maybe another thread for Acoustat mods can be started where all the mods can be discussed and leave this one for AcoustatAnswerMan to answer questions? Maybe the mods can move the mod postings postings to new thread? I know, sounds like a lot of work, but this is an invaluable tool for owners...

So now that all of you have had your feelings hurt, where is an Acoustat newb such as myself supposed to get answers to his/her questions. I had/have some legitimate questions that I have asked in "the last 5 pages of ?????able crap". Now I'm wondering if I'll ever have those questions answered correctly or not.

A sad state of affairs indeed when everyone decides to step out of the one thread where I had hoped to learn something concrete about my 'new to me' 1+1 speakers.

Is there no one who can provide some realistic guidance for a guy like me? AcousticAnswerMan didn't step in and answer my queries , so I had to rely on those that did as being knowledgable and went with what I heard from them. I am so confused now.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out; right or wrong. Damn.

Last edited:
Andys first post.........

Hello Audio Enthusiasts! Some of you may know my work on www.audiocircuit.com, where for many years I have been helping to advise Acoustat owners. I was an engineer and manager with Acoustat, starting when the David Hafler Co bought Acoustat out of bankruptcy, right up to the very end of US production under Rockford Corp ownership (sad day that was!). So I thought I'd lend a hand here, too, because I LOVE Acoustats and want to help as many owners as possible to keep their Acoustats running for many years to come. I don't sell parts or do repairs, but my advice is FREE! So let me know how I can help YOU with your ACOUSTAT's! (And this being a DYI crowd, I don't mind discussing modifications to the speakers.)

Andy Szabo

"(And this being a DYI crowd, I don't mind discussing modifications to the speakers.)"

So what changed to day..........?