ackoDAC based on ES9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you know thats not a lot of choice right? only thing i can say with clarity is that the tentlabs are nowhere near the quality of the onboard, particularly when you take into account the fact there is no decent way to connect it externally without added jitter from less than ideal connections. once i'm done with the IV testing i'll be playing more with synchronous clocking of my usb and the dac and i would like to try some of the new DSPLL type XO's

External Clock

Anybody has any feedback on Oscillators?

- external?
- onboard Chrystec or Tentlabs?

External Clock is possible. See pic showing external Crystek 950 connected this way using a short length of coax. Tentlab or others can be done similarly.

Attachments

• DAC CLK.JPG
    DAC CLK.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 551
Just to let others know, So far my 4 channel acko sounds pretty good in Voltage out, Just fine until I can build a proper IV, Yeah I know BG Ns are lytics but my next stage is around 7k ohm and they sound very good? I'll probably test some auricaps that I have in the same value and see if they are better, but this has been a worthy experiment so far.

Thanks for all the comments and help

Will

no BG N in my experience do not sound and certainly dont measure as well as polypropylene films. 7k isnt that low, you could get away with 8-10uf maybe less.

glad its working well for you, dont get me wrong, but electros of ANY type will never be as good as a decent film

i wouldnt think it would be even as good. the standard clocks listed on the site dont appear to be that flash, support seems to be not great either atm from what ive read on here, but also there is no coax so connection would be a bit of a hack. all the same i do plan to do some comparisons once the IV is more stable and i know the system better. probably once ive got the new speakers up too

Hi all, I have only just joined this group. I currently have an Arcam C31 preamplifier which I am thinking of cannibalising.

I am considering building a dual mono ackodac, with the ability to switch between stereo (most of my listening), and the HDMI inputs (when available) for home cinema. Thinking of adding a exa2ui and a raspberry pi to have a high quality built-in streamer using mpd/linux for both stereo 24/192 FLAC and possibly multichannel DSD.

Question is, I cannot seem to find any info on the sizes of the modules, to see if they will fit in my chassis. I would very much like to use the current power supply, volume control (knob at least), and front panel switches and display, as well as the possibly the RCA and XLR outs of the arcam pre-amp. Not sure if any of this is possible?

I would very much welcome any advice and suggestions. I have given links to the arcam C31 preamplifier details and service manual if anyone is interested...

C31 Pre-Amplifier
http://www.arcam.co.uk/_ugc/file/tor_files/fmj/c31/C30 service manual issue_1_0.pdf

Thank you once again.

the modules are pretty small, but the whole unit (particularly fully optioned up as you mention) hasnt got a chance of fitting into an existing case and using the psu, not a chance IMO

also I see you are a new member, dont tell me this is your first major diy project? if it is, forget it. it is not a beginners diy project, particularly given you seem to have searched out every possible option and added it. what are you using for an IV stage? how are you achieving switching between multichannel and 2 channel, with dual dacs? Acko seems to have been doing a few custom builds lately, you might think about asking him to build it for you

Last edited:
the modules are pretty small, but the whole unit (particularly fully optioned up as you mention) hasnt got a chance of fitting into an existing case and using the psu, not a chance IMO

also I see you are a new member, dont tell me this is your first major diy project? if it is, forget it. it is not a beginners diy project, particularly given you seem to have searched out every possible option and added it. what are you using for an IV stage? how are you achieving switching between multichannel and 2 channel, with dual dacs? Acko seems to have been doing a few custom builds lately, you might think about asking him to build it for you

I was afraid I might be biting off more than I can chew. Not tackled a project of this magnitude before. I did think dual mono was too ambitious. I guess I might just have to forget the whole thing :(

I was thinking of using the PSU, controller board and IV stage of the arcam, and remove the preamp board, but am happy to gut out the whole thing and just use the chassis. The "DAC system" board looks like might be more useful for my purpose, but the website does not have any other details.

What am I really looking for is a multichannel dac with HDMI and I2S inputs with a built in volume control. Can't really seem to find a reasonably priced commercial version.

Acko - if you are reading this, I would value your thoughts on whether you would consider building an idiot proof package?

Thanks.

no, I dont want to discourage you totally, but I do think you have more research ahead of you that you havent thought of and no I dont think you can tackle this on your own, its not a cheap project so if saving money is the primary objective, I suggest you think again. To often I see people with that motivation and its folly.

the dac system board would be a good choice, but it doesnt have an IV stage and its not as simple as just plugging a random one in, particularly if you want multichannel + 2 channel + switching between the 2. thats assuming the arcam even HAS an iv stage rather than just a buffer and you can guarantee it doesnt have an 8 channel IV stage.

having built 2, nearly 3 ackodacs I can say with authority that its not a simple project, the new more integrated boards are easier in this regard, but they are not totally complete and they are not really plug and play. that being said, like I mentioned, Acko has been doing quite a few full systems lately, whether hes completed something quite like this i'm not sure, as that 8 channel 2 channel IV creates quite the complexity in the analogue and digital control systems domain.

at the end of the day it really is a superb dac, truly and I do not feel there is any real competition in the same arena, but it is a major undertaking and you cannot just slap disparate systems together and expect them to work. I mean you mention rasberry pi, have you got any control systems/networking and coding experience? you seem to have just added it to your list, almost as an afterthought, thats a fair bit of work, a good idea, but its not something you can just pick up and run with in a hurry and it requires a whole system approach.

no, I dont want to discourage you totally, but I do think you have more research ahead of you that you havent thought of and no I dont think you can tackle this on your own, its not a cheap project so if saving money is the primary objective, I suggest you think again. To often I see people with that motivation and its folly.

the dac system board would be a good choice, but it doesnt have an IV stage and its not as simple as just plugging a random one in, particularly if you want multichannel + 2 channel + switching between the 2. thats assuming the arcam even HAS an iv stage rather than just a buffer and you can guarantee it doesnt have an 8 channel IV stage.

having built 2, nearly 3 ackodacs I can say with authority that its not a simple project, the new more integrated boards are easier in this regard, but they are not totally complete and they are not really plug and play. that being said, like I mentioned, Acko has been doing quite a few full systems lately, whether hes completed something quite like this i'm not sure, as that 8 channel 2 channel IV creates quite the complexity in the analogue and digital control systems domain.

at the end of the day it really is a superb dac, truly and I do not feel there is any real competition in the same arena, but it is a major undertaking and you cannot just slap disparate systems together and expect them to work. I mean you mention rasberry pi, have you got any control systems/networking and coding experience? you seem to have just added it to your list, almost as an afterthought, thats a fair bit of work, a good idea, but its not something you can just pick up and run with in a hurry and it requires a whole system approach.

Thanks for your response. I do actually have quite a lot of experience with networking / programming and spent some time modifying soundcards and fiddling with old style CRT TVs. Did mess around with hifi kit, but mostly replacing caps etc, nothing too fancy.

Tried various off the shelf DACs and they did not really work well for me! I guess far better to strip out the chassis. I can re-program the micro-controller on the arcam pre-amp but is probably a waste of effort. Better off using the system board as you suggest. The RPi was to act as my music server (running mpd), and (perhaps) to control the switching etc.

Without the docs I obviously can't progress. The critical bit, as you say, is the 2 channel / 8 channel switching. The E18 from exasound does that, but does not support HDMI.

Oh well, shall wait a little longer to see what happens in the DAC market...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.