ACA failed after a decade Help diagnois

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yeah, acid core is considered a no no for electronic work as it can attack components and make them fail. You need rosin core solder

If any connection has a huge glob of solder, you get this desoldering braid:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=desolder+braid&crid=18YZ0SDVLJMK4&sprefix=desolder+braid,aps,166&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

and place about an inch over the joint and then heat it by pressing down on the other side of the braid with the hot soldering iron. There is some flux inside the braid that encourages the solder to be sucked into the braid and while it's fluid remove the braid and then clip off the stiff, solder filled braid, and repeat or go on to the next joint.

Here is proper electronic flux. You can smear a bit on the joints after removing any huge blobs of solder and it helps the solder flow:

https://www.amazon.com/electrical-flux/s?k=electrical+flux

Last edited:
At last the stars alined. I had time, parts, supplies and equipment to complete the repair. The ACA's are back doing their job entertaining me upgraded with the added resister. I'm planning to listen for a while then upgrade the power supplies. For now they are currently set up in my shop and sounding great.
It's been a fantastic experience to fix something that was broken. In someways this was more satisfying than the original build.
Thanks to Mark (Variac) for supplying the components and everyone else for their keen eyes and sage advice.

Reactions: 3 users

Attachments

• ACA operation modes.jpg
    ACA operation modes.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 42
  • ACA parallel mono.jpg
    ACA parallel mono.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 40
  • AmpCamp_Bridge_Mode_XLR_Input.jpg
    AmpCamp_Bridge_Mode_XLR_Input.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 46
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Perhaps it's a difference in reading, but ...

I'm interesting in using these two amp to power a single speaker in mono.
Two amps to power a single speaker... is biamping ... and in what I'd personally consider a fairly unusual way.

The configurations in the build guide and as described above don't apply (or at least not directly). The situations in the build guide account for running one amp to power one speaker or one amp to power two speakers. I am confident that you could use two amps to power one mono speaker, but I'd gather more information.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ I didn't state any facts, and my comment was not addressed to you. It was directed to the person whom I quoted. What exactly is your issue? They wrote that they wanted to power a single speaker with two amps. Are you usually this abrupt? Typically I've found your comments personally helpful. Sorry if I've offended you in some way.

Edited to add - In fairness, I could have said... I'm assuming that what was written is in-fact what is desired... which is to power one speaker in mono using two amplifiers.

Last edited:
@ItsAllInMyHead
No, you did not offend me. Yes, I was abrupt.
I am sorry.

@jpo70
Either parallel mono or balanced / bridged mono will drive a single speaker, being that FR or multi way.
For that you need 2 x ACA connected together for the right mode.
You'll find all the answers in the above files and links.

Bi-amping OTOH needs an additional external xover, usually active, to drive a multi way speaker.
I'm sure other people will chime in and provide extra clarity.
Hope this helps.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ No need to apologize, but it is appreciated. I enjoy your comments.

I agree that we all need to try and understand some facts before we comment. I'm new to most of electronics, so I am often wrong. But, everyone is very patient, including you. If I got something wrong, I always want to know. It also may not be a commonly held belief, but I hope all people will at least try to answer some questions and possibly learn. If we're too afraid to put something out there, then only a few of the experts always have the burden of answering... plus... I think it's a missed opportunity to learn. Where I need to be careful is to be sure that people know that I am FAR from any kind of expert.

:cheers:

Reactions: 1 user