About possible Babelfish J interest

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sorry CtC , I was distracted with zillion things ( not mentioning flu with border temp , I got from my Petri Dish)

will post edited schm tonight with all necessary comments

have some serious amp cooking to do today

do not worry - nothing is very critical here ..........and , one jovial thing - cascode elements really don't need to be matched

they can be , if you wish ...... but really not necessary

sorry CtC , I was distracted with zillion things ( not mentioning flu with border temp , I got from my Petri Dish)

will post edited schm tonight with all necessary comments

have some serious amp cooking to do today

do not worry - nothing is very critical here ..........and , one jovial thing - cascode elements really don't need to be matched

they can be , if you wish ...... but really not necessary

No worries. Everyone has a real life! Hope your better now. Almost everyone I work with had the funk for a week of so. And it’s warm here.

Looking forward to the edited schm, thanks.

Amp cooking? New design? Secret?

I’m in construction management in my professional life. It’s my responsibility to make sure that the client gets what designers, engineers, and consultants organized for them. I learned a long time ago to follow the lead of the professional.

Doing same here, you sent me matched BC556B’s for Q2 and Q6, so I ordered matched BD140’s to replace them. Who am I to question? ;)

9F029083-BE0C-486A-A89D-C84B11321E85.jpeg

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
considering that amp in question is Babelfish X , iteration of Aleph X well known around with few twists here and there , it couldn't be used regular PL needle meter arrangement - measuring voltage sag across rail conductor - from cap bank to power pcb ;

connected that way , needle stay put as long amp is in class A , so no pumping through rail

so , when Aleph X is in question - beast simply not capable to go out from A class , I simply connected needle meter across one source resistor ; of course there is series connected trimpot and nice elco across meter , to suppress zingylingy

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I can't tell now which value of trimpot ...... I knew that when I was measuring/calculating/soldering ... and now is irrelevant to me

same as is for you , simply because your meter is certainly not same as this one

tell me current for full scale , Rdc of coil , and then I'll calc . series resistance for you

cap is approx. 220uF , absolutely not critical value

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks a lot Zen Mod, I have the same indicator and the same case ,and bias on the source resistor 0R47will be 220mA.

in which case you must know that meters are having some electronic inside , needing removal

see pics

trimpot is in my case 1K , but I believe you're good with 500R

Attachments

• WP_20171205_18_17_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171205_18_17_33_Pro.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 272
  • WP_20171205_18_27_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171205_18_27_26_Pro.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 237
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it is a clone case , all the wings and whistles and what not

however , entire project is primary Kudos , nothing exactly cloned

more details (how , when , what ) will be posted soon , including my (always modest and humble) contributions to Aleph X Jazz standard

oh Boy ....... what a damn satisfaction , taking Papapuzzles all to the extreme :)

Last edited:
It looks like the XA.5 front plate without the big hunks of aluminium bolted to it, combined with XA.8 heatsinks.

In it's present configuration it certainly isn't a clone of any of the Pass Labs cases.
I just want to be sure for future reference that this doesn't irritate pass labs or papa.