A two-stage MC tube based RIAA circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 2SK240/ECC88, 6SL7 double cascode RIAA build

282437d1337089526-stage-mc-tube-based-riaa-circuit-hybrid-riaa-6sl7-casc0de-jpg

Maybe I missed something about the above schematic. What happened to the grid of the first triode? Shouldn't there be a voltage supply to the E88CC grid?

Yes it would, but the CCS needs to have high output impedance too: if it's the same as the cascode, then you get -6dB. Also, the plate voltage is not well defined because it's at the junction of 2 active devices. Instead of adding more silicon to the circuit, I prefer an overkill power supply: the one I'm working on has a 6th order LCLCRCRC filter after the tube rectifier; that should be quiet enough.

I'm not familiar with the BF862, so I can't say when it's happy, or not. The Toshiba 2SK146/147 I use have a fairly flat NF vs Vds curve, starting at about 3.2dB at Vds = 5v, droping to a minimum of about 2.9dB at 25V, and raising again to about 3.7dB at 50V. However, if you look at the Id vs Vds curve, the knee starts at about .5V until about 3V where it flattens out. That's why I prefer to run it at 5-7V to keep it in its linear region.

With that, I must admit that initially, I was very tempted to return the grid to ground for its simplicity.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.