Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Driver F

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Driver G

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was surprised how different they all sounded.
This. I fail all the "blind audiophile" tests, but the difference in these samples is such that I can't even imagine listening to the one I like the least. Maybe it would be more agreeable in person - I didn't think I was that picky a listener. Pretty sure I sussed out which one my favorite was, because of its family resemblance to another:D. Will be interesting to see how wrong I am.

I was hoping to get more subjective descriptions of what you think of a driver vs another. Sort of like driver X has too much of a recessed midrange or driver Z has good sharp transients and separation of detail etc.

Won't that influence others? I suggest take notes and share only after polls close.

Folks doing the listening tests please listen driver G first and then work towards driver A; I am assuming natural sequence is driver A to G.

See if that has any impact on what you prefer.

I thought I'd do it the lazy way, I just downloaded to my Mac and played the tracks on my iMac through the built-in speakers. I've done comparisons before like this from YouTube where I've been able to consistently judge two sources to be different and have a preference.

My daughter joined in this time.

We found 3 of the drivers dropped off the list very quickly (A, C, D and later on E) with two of them being the worse (A and D). The differences are very subtle but you simply 'like' them less without being able to say why and without being able to describe any specific difference. It's almost subconscious.

Of the 3 remaining drivers one of them was simply more musical. The other 2 were fine but a bit boring.

I was easily able to vote for the stand-out driver.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
^@tuxedocivic: Me too before I got given the key :)

I was also surprised about how different they sound. Especially on the guitar for ACDC! for the Jazz track I thought that they all sucked, but one sucked less than the others ;)

I have not heard any of these drivers (or relatives of them) in real life.

Tony.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
In true spirit with the feasibility of such a test, I listened on my laptop speakers. Only Nora got a listen.

Several of them revealed "hiss" that I found unpleasant, so they were the first to go. Maybe no fault of the drivers.

I probably picked the most boring-sounding driver, as I much prefer a more laid back presentation.

To me they sound more different than I would expect from the manufacturers published FR graphs.

Bear in mind that some of them have not had enough break-in time. I've found that full range drivers need break-in and the change I've heard over a break-in period has been larger than some of the differences I heard between the tracks that were posted.

Tough to pick just one. I liked B, D, and E. Maybe D as the compromise favorite.

Considering most folks are probably listening through headphones or computer speakers that likely have their own FR issues no one should be taking this all that seriously. Fun distraction though.

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I just voted. Boy, some of the drivers are pretty awful. Great choice of music though, X. Pretty much everyone has heard Jones' "Come Away With Me." And the other two were nice too. I would have thrown in a symphonic piece. The broadband nature of symphonic music quickly reveals flaws. If you ever go to an audio show, ask them to play symphonic music and turn up the volume, and watch the frowns come all over their faces.

Did my listening on headphones. Computer speakers are too rough for this test. All the drivers in the lineup could use some EQ. It would be interesting to test them with EQ. Maybe do two or three files per driver and ask which three are from the same driver? I bet everything would sound the same then.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.