A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 3.5in drivers - Round 5

Select the driver that sounds best to you.

• A

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • E

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • F

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • G

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I believe you will have a lot of difficulty to find better than the 10F/8 ohms :) ! Maybe the Fountek, but how to tame the high peaks in the high end (at least with or mic which are not going above 20K ?)

A question to to you please, I posted already but I re ask with some others parameters as I'm intrigued : it's about the 8 x bass drivers and how to source them !

My understanding is you need a VAS below 20 liters by driver for the 9 liters two drivers cabinet ! Am I correct ? the lesser VAS, the better ?

Is there an ideal Qts for them ? more around 0.3 or more around 0.5/0.6 just because the load is a sealed one ?

The motivation of the question is how to match (as usual) the speed of the driver at the apex of a horn with the drivers below ! I assume the 4 bass drivers help for the dynamic behavior as well ! But how do you wire them : in // .... 2 ohms load ???? Where am I wrong here please ?

It's off topic here and it's more a personal question : if I only use the Trynergy for the 10F, could the imaging be worse if I use a direct driver (Active EQ and phase FIR) between 80 hZ and the 400 Hz XO ?

Btw what is the expansion of the tatrix please ? 90° ?

Many question in once not to pollute the thread too much...:rolleyes:

Tommorrow I should start my measurements....

Vive la musique !

The PE part number 299-609 are a fantastic deal in the U.S. Unfortunately shipping to Europe would kill any savings you have even at $5 ea. the Vas is 15liters and I have two in a 8liter box. The Q is low but works fine. Look for a high Qts mid woofer that is cheap in Europe and go with it.

OK, you really deal with the highest Qts possible.

Godzilla, my ears said to you Fountek 88 EX worth a try, especially for the money !

I assume if you liked TC familly and didn't try aluminium yet, you should cross the step... I assume as well the F10 bein between those two in term of sounding signature (I have also a Proac D15 with a 17 cm wooden carbon mid-bass... ).

Thanks for the words, here life is going on, a vast majority of the people, laics or from all the religions think the bad guys were just some fools with psychiatric disorders and no education. Frenchs live in peace together and eat together mixed in the restaurants (they were muslims victims as well in the poor young people). The bad men behind the young fools have more money preocupation : selling petrol and drugs... They use religion to make business and it's terrible even those few fools (the young fools) can not see it, waste their life, the others' lives... for nothing ! Because in fact it's change nothing but for the poors families impacted!

I think it's not against the France especially, but against the youngs of all mediteranean aera : the bad guys make all they do to create economy disorders and their co-religious loose their job by creating a stress climate (trying to kill turism economy, cultural exchange, etc) !

Vive les jeunes de tous les pays :)

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Are there any thoughts on the new state of the art Mark Audio Alpair 5.2 3" driver ? Technology marches on. I suppose this new driver needs its own thread.

I think it has its own thread elsewhere on diyA. Looks interesting and I am willing to test and compare in the same setup if someone wants to provide me one.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
FF85WK and WKeN

I just received a matched pair of FF85WKeN's that I ordered from Planet10 hifi and coincidentally, a pair of factory fresh non-enabled ones also arrived on the same day. Here they are:

Fostex's are solid heavy well built drivers. The magnets are substantial but the frames are thin. There is some damping putty or aerodynamic shaping putty on the Planet10's.

I look forward to testing these in the next round but at present an still looking for other drivers to include in the lineup. Maybe revisit some of the old ones again. I had considered doing a Vifa/ScanSpeak/Tymphany TC9FD/TG9FD/10F8424/Typ3 and FF85WK/FF85WKeN. That would be 6 drivers there.

529490d1454726669-subjective-blind-comparison-2in-3-5in-drivers-round-5-image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    566 KB · Views: 973
Last edited:
Nice new round advertised I'm all for it : )

Personal wishes :µphone::shhh:.....:scratch2:
One of the tracks be AC-DC from round 1.
If 7 tracks isn't too much add B 80 if remember right it won two rounds.
If 8 tracks isn't too much add SB65WBAC25-4 to have one metal driver into round, it final got a shared third place in round three and is current a hot M/T driver in this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/285030-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn.html.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ok, the requests so far for drivers that I have on hand:
These are the definite high rollers:
B80 (paper)
10F/8424 (paper)

SB65WBAC25-4 (aluminum)

TC9FD (paper)
TG9FD (fiberglass)
maybe need to pick either TC or TG9

These are new and *must* be tested
TYP03 (black Kevlar TG9)
FF85WK (paper)
FF85WKeN (paper with Enabled treatment)

Let me think about it...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.