A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

I sure get more SPL out of my four exciter plates than I did with one, so you must be doing something wrong or misunderstand something. With the exciters connected in series-parallel, which I guess is the only sensible option, you still have the same impedence as a single exciter, so will get the same total power from the amplifier. But they will be able to handle 4x the power.

I can say for sure that I haven't noticed a decrease in sensitivity, and is just really amazed how my plates could keep up with 8 massive double 18 subs using Linea Research amps, just using some measly Sanway amps that should be giving 250w per plate (4000w total) according to the chinese rated watts. If what you said was true, I would have been able to do that event with 1000w of power, which I really wish could be true. So again, I would really be excited to see measurements supporting your claims.

Not everyone has to care about efficiency or power density at all, but for those that do care it is good if we are clear on what is speculation and what is based in fact or experience.
So how much more spl did you get from 4 exciters compared to 1 exciter?

Nice link. The part starting at about 9:10 is the best part, as it shows what comb filtering would look like with white noise, or with a sine sweep in REW. That is, like the figure below, with sharp nulls at regular intervals.

View attachment 1154071

I've done a fair amount of measurments with single exciters and with pairs of exciters, but I've never seen a frequency response that looks anything like that, with either single or multiple exciters.

If two exciters really cause comb filtering, such a response should appear when two exciters are used, then disappear when either is removed, right? Seems easy enough to test:
1. mount a single exciter, set the mic at a reasonable distance from the panel (1 meter or the like), and capture a frequency response.
2. mount a second exciter, and capture a second frequency response.
3. See if the second measurement looks like the figure below, while the first does not.

Right?

Whoever is willing, please try it. I'd especially be interested to see measurements that shows comb filtering with 2 exciters, as I've never noticed it myself. That said, I never really looked for it before, so I could possibly have missed it, though it seems it would have been obvious.

In the past, I think Steve has said that if he brings the mic close to the panel and moves it around, he sees "the waves move around", and cited that as evidence of comb filtering. But actually, that is only evidence that the panel is modal, not evidence of comb filtering. When micing close to the panel, there will be peaks in the frequency response at modal frequencies which have antinodes closest to the mic. As you move the mic around the panel, you move the mic closer to other antinodes (corresponding to different modal frequencies) and farther from the original ones, hence the peaks in the frequency response move to new frequencies. Hence, such "waves" are to be expected for any DML, regardless of how many exciters it has, and not evidence of comb filtering.

Eric
Like I said in my other post I dont know if its comb filtering or another type of effect but there is something interfering when there is more then one exciter on the same panel. I mean dont you all hear the difference when compared side by side? Or can only Spedge and I hear it?

So how much more spl did you get from 4 exciters compared to 1 exciter?
Again, I don't have measurements on the same plate with different configurations, and I'm not sure how far they can go really. At those levels is it not so easy to test since it is reacing the limit of what most microphones can capture, and you need to find a remote outdoor space to do it.
But measuring the sensitivity should tell you if the exciters cancel out each other at all, and you can extrapolate max SPL from that.

I just know that I would have clearly noticed a 4x reduction in sensitivity as you suggest you experience when you say your 4x exciter panels doesn't go louder than your single exciter. If it would be a large difference I would have noticed it even if I did not look for it, but I really doubt there is even a marginal difference.

Since you claim multiple exciters reduce efficiency I would hope that you have some data, or experiences you can describe a bit more detailed, that is supporting that.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice link. The part starting at about 9:10 is the best part, as it shows what comb filtering would look like with white noise, or with a sine sweep in REW. That is, like the figure below, with sharp nulls at regular intervals.

View attachment 1154071

I've done a fair amount of measurments with single exciters and with pairs of exciters, but I've never seen a frequency response that looks anything like that, with either single or multiple exciters.

If two exciters really cause comb filtering, such a response should appear when two exciters are used, then disappear when either is removed, right? Seems easy enough to test:
1. mount a single exciter, set the mic at a reasonable distance from the panel (1 meter or the like), and capture a frequency response.
3. See if the second measurement looks like the figure below, while the first does not.

Right?

Whoever is willing, please try it. I'd especially be interested to see measurements that shows comb filtering with 2 exciters, as I've never noticed it myself. That said, I never really looked for it before, so I could possibly have missed it, though it seems it would have been obvious.

In the past, I think Steve has said that if he brings the mic close to the panel and moves it around, he sees "the waves move around", and cited that as evidence of comb filtering. But actually, that is only evidence that the panel is modal, not evidence of comb filtering. When micing close to the panel, there will be peaks in the frequency response at modal frequencies which have antinodes closest to the mic. As you move the mic around the panel, you move the mic closer to other antinodes (corresponding to different modal frequencies) and farther from the original ones, hence the peaks in the frequency response move to new frequencies. Hence, such "waves" are to be expected for any DML, regardless of how many exciters it has, and not evidence of comb filtering.

Eric
Leob.
once again you are miss understand and miss quoting me.
these are not random peaks and troughs throughout the panel , but are a pattern of waves that move up and down in frequency as you move the microphone between the exciters and away from the exciters.
This does not happen with a single exciter panel.
It is easily seen using a microphone and pink noise.
This you can do yourself .
I do not really want to have to glue on another exciter again and do a three second video just to prove this.
Or set up a YouTube account for a longer video.
If I did show this response, I am still not sure you would actually believe my results?
Steve.

I said the 4x exciters are not much louder then the single exciter. I never said they dont go louder. o_O
Ok, I don't know what your definition of much is, but the point is that 4 exciters should give a very noticable increase in volume if you apply 4x the power. If you experince the difference as "not much" you either have an odd definition of what a significant increase in SPL is, or you have gotten something wrong.

Ok, I don't know what your definition of much is, but the point is that 4 exciters should give a very noticable increase in volume if you apply 4x the power. If you experince the difference as "not much" you either have an odd definition of what a significant increase in SPL is, or you have gotten something wrong.
What is your definition of much? It is a noticeable increase in volume if it wasnt I wouldnt notice it :ROFLMAO: . What is your definition of a significant increase in spl? What have I gotten wrong?:rolleyes:

They certainly are different, especially when it comes to issues with phase
Hello Leob
Thank you to point on the relation between DML/piston and hearing.
Some months ago, I posted #7259 a patent about the Measuring and optimising diffusivity of acoustic output of loudspeakers. Diffusivity being one of the main characteristics of DML.
After more than 2 years with DML now, I can say (and I will not be alone I think) that they have "something special" (read different from standard loudspeaker) that makes them really music and room friendly even in the most simple or "not optimized" realizations. Which means it is intrinsic to their nature. It is also challenging from a design point of view as the goal seems to have no stable phase relation between the FR components according to the direction.
For the possibility of comb filtering... well we should at least classified in different situations :
  • internal to a panel due to multi exciter design
  • between panel of a stack playing the same signal
  • created by the panel/room interaction.
Christian

Reactions: 2 users
... and not evidence of comb filtering.

Eric
Hello all
About the effect of multi exciter, you can refer to my post #5270 (about one year ago! Time flies?) where there are some FR with one and two exciters. I haven't pushed more the topic staying on the secure opinion that one exciter is enough in room applications, if 2 are needed a work around IF there are some consequences in HF is to shunt one of the exciter with a capacitor.
From measurements point of view, it seems there is a difference between one or two exciter, not visible using a long time window but visible when using a frequency dependent window (which would lead to say the energy is arriving later?) No conclusion on the fact if we can here it or not. We'll see in the coming time if I will have more conclusion : the idea of doing a dual exciter DML being in my mind for the next month (music in the summer evenings?). I think also DML behavior is too complex and the wave speeds in HF too unusual to make the conclusion on comb filtering. More technical input needed.
Christian

Reactions: 1 users
What is your definition of much? It is a noticeable increase in volume if it wasnt I wouldnt notice it :ROFLMAO: . What is your definition of a significant increase in spl? What have I gotten wrong?:rolleyes:
"Not much" increase in SPL would be 1-3 dB perhaps. Anything about that is significant. But since you use a phrase like that instead of the actual difference you have measured in dBSPL, I assume that you made a subjective judgement to come to the conclusion that there are significant cancellation causing adding multiple exciters only resulting in "not much" increase.

You have not given any details whatsoever about what you base your conclusion on. What panels, what exciters in what configuration, what amp, how did you measure SPL, etc. So it is impossible for me to say what you have gotten wrong.

View attachment 1154071

Right?

Eric
I would say that the comb filtering is what happens one a DML plate, also with one exciter. The frequencies emitted from the plate are emitted from several points at the same time, which I would think must cause some comb filtering. However since there are many points on the plate acting as sources of a frequency at the same time, you will not see that pattern in the example, but a bunch of comb filters overlayed. That would result in them being less easy to identify in a FR, and many times even masked by our hearing.

I was doing A/B comparisons between my single exciter panel and the 4X exciter panel and I noticed even the bass is cleaner sounding with the single exciter. The 4X exciter has more bass but the bass sounds a bit more muddy which again could be from comb filtering or some other type of interference between the 4 exciters spaced 2 inches apart when measuring from voice coil to voice coil.

Again I am not saying the 4X exciter panel does not sound good as they sound really good but they just lack a bit of that coherency and fine detail of a single exciter panel.

Its almost like comparing a full range driver and or a coaxial driver in which it sounds more coherent then most 2 ways because all the sound is coming from a single point with no interference be it comb filtering, time alignment or what ever.

Last edited: