A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Hi DD/Folks, I had a related question. I use the older dac boards (non-TENT modules). I have a four deck stack. Considering the current consumption being talked about in the previous posts, I measured the current consumption of my 4 dac boards and it came out to 480mA. Is this normal for the older dac boards or should I be worried to find out if any of the boards is not working properly and hence not consuming as much current as it should?

Another question, which perhaps has been asked previously, however, just to be sure, I'd like to re-clarify, Can i add 4 of the newer tent shunt dac boards on top of my 4 older board stack?

Hello,
Even when my sugar is much to low or when i am drunk like never before i will know this one.
It pops up very regularly.
Greetings, Eduard
P.s OR does he really wants to know the OUTPUT current

Thanks Simon for a quick response. Appreciate it. However, just to confirm the current consumption of the older 4 board stack, I'd welcome anyone to share that data. Don't want to be under the impression that I have 4 deck stack working whereas in reality perhaps one of the deck isn't working up to spec or at all.

I can confirm,. that the old boards take less power.

but, it depends what you are playing, 44.1 or 192kHz. The latter takes more mA...

But as a rule of thumb, you could say the old boards are taking roughly half the power compared to the new ones.

point is that those work with Tent Shunts of close to 100mA per channel. This causes a more steady power consumption, but also higher as the shunt always takes its current

I can confirm,. that the old boards take less power.

but, it depends what you are playing, 44.1 or 192kHz. The latter takes more mA...

But as a rule of thumb, you could say the old boards are taking roughly half the power compared to the new ones.

point is that those work with Tent Shunts of close to 100mA per channel. This causes a more steady power consumption, but also higher as the shunt always takes its current

Thanks DD. I think around 480mA is close to half of the mA drawn by 4 of the new boards (200mA*4). I played a 24/192 file and observed the current draw rise to 554mA. This is roughly half of the consumption of the new boards.

Last edited:
Maybe I am shooting in the dark here but just wanted to take a chance and ask if there are any DDDAC users out here who would have gone from 8 or 12 deck build down to 4 or 8 decks or basically those who would have 4 surplus dac boards that they are no longer using. If there are any of you out there, and are willing to let go of your boards reasonably, I will be happy to take 4 more boards to add to my stack. Even if some of you have 2 boards each, I can get those to make a total of 4 more boards. PM Me please.

I have recently ramped up my power supply and can easily support 2A current requirement of 8 boards. Do I need to consider raising the voltage of the supply from 12.5V currently to any higher? I can do it easily so those who are using 8 boards, do let me know.

Now that both my countries are kicked out of the European Championships, time for hobby again! I just published my clock test 3 on my blog website…

The Clock Tests (part 3) - DDDAC

Great read and testing Doede. I have built the Andrea clocks now and all confirmed working in my workshop and now need to try them in the dac and with the reclockPi at some point too.

Clocks will be always powered with a simple LM317 PSU and when the dac is switched on switched to Ian’s battery supply for listening

I've got a set of cinemag 15/15b for my dac but can't find the wiring scheme for them. Anyone able to help with this?

here it is....

Attachments

• Cinemag aansluiten met kleuren.JPG
    Cinemag aansluiten met kleuren.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 370
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I will send Doede an original Eaton supercap. Probably this will give better results than the to cheap to be true ones from a not so reliable supplier.
I remember Doede writing about a few that were not up to specs. Of course sometimes it matters but sometimes a cheap MIGHT work too without any issues.
Greetings,Eduard