A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Over the standard LF50 it is much like if you upgrade your power supply from CRC til CLC or LCL. More body and weight. A little smoother and less grain. More defined bass. More inner detail. I like it a lot.

It is not night and day, but well worth the upgrade.
Why don't you try going direct and avoiding the isolator? You'll get the same improvement again. And I've had no noise issues using Mac Minis

Edit; not usb , but 5vdc from waveio.

The isolated side on waveio i2s is powered from the mainboard (5vdc New class D reg), but what does power the unisolated i2s lines? Well, that’s 5vdc on waveio, and the advantage to use New class D reg is no longer valid. I’m very pleased with my Ldovr reg, and if the New class D is even better, there is no doubt, isolated i2s is the way to go currently. (But maybe I will try unisolated some day, and I will get suprised at the resut?)
To avoid regulators, is not a bad thing.

Last edited:
If you power your Wave io board from a separate power supply as most folk do, you can also remove the USB power source wires from your USB connection so the only possible noise route from your source is via thee digital - wire, which I've proved in practice does not introduce any noise into my set up.

Unisolated output takes its power from the Wave psu, so you bypass the isolator and don't need the 5v regaulted power from the mainboard.

I compared Ian's isolator, the Wave built in one, and no isolator. No isolator won, and the Wave isolator gave marginally better SQ than Ian's.

The point of any isolator in that position is to break any connection between the ground planes of your source and the Wave board. As stated, using only the data wires from USB eliminates any source noise, and the Wave is not creating any audible noise in my set up.

If you power your Wave io board from a separate power supply as most folk do, you can also remove the USB power source wires from your USB connection so the only possible noise route from your source is via thee digital - wire, which I've proved in practice does not introduce any noise into my set up.

Unisolated output takes its power from the Wave psu, so you bypass the isolator and don't need the 5v regaulted power from the mainboard.

I compared Ian's isolator, the Wave built in one, and no isolator. No isolator won, and the Wave isolator gave marginally better SQ than Ian's.

The point of any isolator in that position is to break any connection between the ground planes of your source and the Wave board. As stated, using only the data wires from USB eliminates any source noise, and the Wave is not creating any audible noise in my set up.

Thx, it makes sense. Tempted to try the same, but then I must bypass 5v reg on mainboard with a jumper across in-out i guess. I will remove the reg and cap after.

After I solder out the 7810 regulators on my four dac boards, It was easy to hear the improvement in sq. I don’t expect the same improvement when the Ldovr is out, but time will tell.

Thx, it makes sense. Tempted to try the same, but then I must bypass 5v reg on mainboard with a jumper across in-out i guess. I will remove the reg and cap after.

After I solder out the 7810 regulators on my four dac boards, It was easy to hear the improvement in sq. I don’t expect the same improvement when the Ldovr is out, but time will tell.

Uhm... not sure what you are going to do here, but you cannot just bypass the 5 volt regulator on the main board. You will blow up all logic on the main board because you feed the main board with 12 volt, or in your case I assume 10 volt...

«Unisolated output takes its power from the Wave psu, so you bypass the isolator and don't need the 5v regaulted power from the mainboard. «

This statement was what got me confused.
Yes but there was no mention of removing it[emoji16] I'm a bit surprised you don't understand that part of the circuit before attempting these types of mods........

As far as I can see, the unisolated connectors on the Waveio board is called uBNC. Is these cables called u.fl I should use? How did you connect your Waveio to DDDAC main board? IAN CANADA U.FL coaxial cable double-ended silver-plated 6" - Audiophonics