A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

just an in between comment.... This post is mostly about tweaking the DAC and I heard some remarks like "will the dddac only sound good if you do all this significant tweaking?"

If I say it does, it might sound biased, so I was happy to receive this feedback from a very happy DIY who built the stock version and was obviously very content... Of course that does not mean tweaking cannot bring another notch of sound quality and for all fun....

Quote:
Doede,

I finished my single-board DAC and two PSUs today, with Cinemag output transformers. I plugged it in to my Sqeezebox, configured everything, and let it rip on my SET 300b rig (DIY).

Holy smokes, my mouth hit the floor three hours ago and has not returned to my face! I have been listening all afternoon, hearing stuff I never heard before. The things I notice over my (cheap) tube DAC I was using are much tighter bass, more detail, wide staging, and more presence. Coupled with a very non-fatiguing, natural sound. It is also dead quiet on 98db/speakers.

Thanks for putting such an excellent DAC in the hands of the DIY crowd!

Adam
Minneapolis, MN USA

I agree and we all felt the same the first time we heard this great DAC. Interesting to read he used one DACS module and Cinemag have worked OK as I though you needed four DAC modules to get enough drive?

I thought I'd tried this in the past and got a bigger difference. But when I made the swap from common to series last week, the voltage at the dac didn't change...
ok, cool. I've just bridged/bypassed the gnd going through the second choke in common mode and noticed no increase in noise floor or interference even when listening right at the tweeter, so I'll re-work that this week so there is no components in series between the transformer centre tap and the dac gnd.
And I'll see if there's any drop in voltage if I use both halves of the second choke.
I think I need to change from a 12v transformer to a 15v one ideally anyway as I'm very close to the voltage being too low...

Or you can try a bleeder with more ohm. I didn't have a chance with 12v trafo and bleeder between 33-56R. Now I am using 15v trafo and a bleeder 56R, and get 11.34vdc out.

Doede@

Your dac in standard setup is quite good, but after put some chokes in things get even better. When I removed the cinemags, i got more dynamic and a clearer/tighter sound, but still non fatiguing. Just love the way it sound now.

Hi Doede,

I am currently doing a shoot out privately between a very refined TT setup @ approx $20k RRP against my DDDAC setup. Will post something soon. Meantime, I would be interesting in your update on that DSD DAC? :)
http://youtu.be/AekDRc7ryNc
http://youtu.be/k994pnio0C8

@Edward- wrt 2-diodes vs 4-diodes, I have done these experiments in the early days and found no audible differences. What I have found were bigger tranny(larger VA) and audio grade EI tranny bought noticeable improvements to dynamic, noticeable better bass (articulate/resolute, and more impact bass). Perhaps, I did something wrong?

My next tweak would be a separate raw unregulated ps for digital and analogue at DACs'. Then I will box it up into 2 boxes with the umbilical ps cord between ps box and DAC.

Chanh

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I had my back panels done at a local machine shop. 9 Neutrik "D" patterns, and a rectangular cutout for the AC inlet.

I have to touch up a little for the 2 non-standard "D" 4 pin XLRs I am using for power connection, and drill some holes in the base for mounting the boards, and Sowter transformers.

Hopefully will get setup over the next several weeks. (I am a slow builder)

My setup will be the standard PSUs with Plitron toroids, in a separate PSU case. I picked a case with heat fins so as to be able to redo the PSUs later if I want. My DDDAC will be a 4 board unit with Sowter output transformers. I am a Silmic II fan, and they are through out my DDAC build. I did upgrade the output resistors to Shinkoh tantalum 1W. Not exciting as many of the other builds, but I want a place to start. I am not as electronically ambitious/knowlegable as many of you folks.

I have the Wave I/O board for input, and have an RCA for SPDIF, although I may look into using a transformer for using AES/EBU SPDIF input. I am also looking into the possibility of rPi with reclocking board for streaming. I will have both USB and Ethernet pass through connectors, and will space the boards for being able to swap out I2S sources.

The Sowters need four... Cinemag goes well with one deck !

Don't think I agree with this. Cinemags were thin sounding with two decks standard build and bettered by direct or capacitor output when I evaluated them.

The guys I know running single deckers all use buffers to get sufficient drive and the best out of the Cinemags.

Am just waiting for my Group Buy Buffer board to try that myself.
David

The two diode full wave rectifier used with split tranny ac supply should sonically the same as the 4 diode full wave bridge on a level playing field basis ie no diodes to earth i.e provided the bridge is fully floating i.e not taken to ground on one side. Two diode is easier to implement. With CLCLC etc you should be ok on one transformer

What would likely account for the sound differences is the Centre tap to ground, effectively providing a balanced psu ala an equitech or the like, this nulls the common mode noise to ground as I understand it, I have 2kVA balanced tranny here and the background noise is significantly different and lessened with the equitech.

Just my 2 cents on the question.

Laters,

Drew.

What would likely account for the sound differences is the Centre tap to ground, effectively providing a balanced psu ala an equitech or the like, this nulls the common mode noise to ground as I understand it, I have 2kVA balanced tranny here and the background noise is significantly different and lessened with the equitech.

Just my 2 cents on the question.

Laters,

Drew.

I guess in the end is does it really matter with good filtering. If the noise is down more than 100 dB or even 120dB then it will never by audible. The centre tap to ground may leak some of the diode noise to ground. I guess the only real test is a dual set up to directly compare the two with an oscilloscope and audition.

Almost there!....
Some work in progress pictures. Just need to wire the chassis to chassis plugs, change the bleeder resistor in the choke power supply and mount the BBB somehow.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm going to use these 9way chassis plugs which aren't designed to fit to each other, but do quite nicely :)

That way I can sit the 2 cases next to each other and join them together, but also have the option of running an umbilical at a later date if needed.

I'm looking forward to an evening of relaxing with some tunes soon rather than drilling, filing, wiring etc etc...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
nice work

Hello James,
Your dac makes me think of this asian game. That is the reason why i will wait for an update on the circuit boards. Did send a message to Doede and will share his information here.
Sincere greetings, edward

Attachments

• thais in het park (5).jpg
    thais in het park (5).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 164
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
asian games

Hello Ed,
Long time ago i did have a tube preamp called Anzai which was a little modified French version of a Japanese design. I did keep adding all kind of parts and ended up with a very hefty power supply. My Vietnamese friend in Paris did keep referring to it as Anzai Bonsai because it was kind of reshaped every 2 months. At that tome audio was kind of a full time hobby. BUT now somehow i wanna do a little diy and after a while just do some minor adjustments.
I know the unmodified one is rather good lol but i wanna make it a little better right from the start that is why i will probably wait for new boards.
I will go for choke input right away and probably also the made to measure sowther output transformers.
I remember Doede did mention somewhere that the tent shunts were an improvement on the 8 volts power supply. Maybe use another brand ( belleson?) on the lower voltage regulation.
Sincere greetings, Eduard

Cheers guys, almost done now :) this version is much more airport security friendly...

I have the multi plugs installed and tested and I'm very pleased to say it's all working well

Wires are a little shorter than I'd like in the power supply box, but I'll have to put that one down to experience...

Now I just need to finish up and work out how to install the external power button to the beaglebone and force it to always boot from the sd card.