A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

David your absolutely right, but I could never find the cause of the hum, I knew it shodnt be there but I could never get got the bottom of it.
That can be the problem at times when your technical knoedge is limited. I see you don't use cinemags, what is your reasoning here?

I didn't think they were better than going direct with 2 boards but I'm persuaded that they work better with 4 or a buffer with one.

I expect to try them again once I've built a buffer sometime next year
David

I tried to find the post where doede talks about dc and how much is acceptable when running without trafo and caps on output.

After removing the cinemags, I measure 2.7mv dc on the right channel and 1.2mv on the left.

I measured at speaker out on the poweramps. Is it safe to connect the speakers , or ?

Is this measured at full gain/volume? If so, that is very low. Nice!

Last edited:
Hi I have a quick question regarding tentlabs shunt regulators. I ordered two 8v ones for the analogue supply. When connected to 12v I get 8.34v output with no load. In circuit they only output 4.6v. They are marked 15v on the back. I've check and double checked connections. Do you think I have been sent 15v ones by mistake and they are not regulating because the input voltage is below 18v if that makes sense. Very disappointed at the moment.

I haven't got a photo at the moment, but looking at the component side. The left most pin is connected to the Vin pin of the old regulator pad. The centre pin goes to the ground of one of the 100nf caps and the right hand side pin goes to the positive side of the same cap. I have removed the 47uf caps and only left the 100nf decoupling caps and the vcom caps.

Last edited: