a nice K-tube tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi GM,

Yes, size matters.

I took another look @ freddi's Post #5, and the Faerber Equilibrium III now looks to me to be ~ 2"I.D. x 9"slot length x 34" overall brass tube length (or so). Now that might just get it down there.

I found an old audioassylum entry by freddyi that compares a big K-tube (K-coupler) to a tractrix Edgarhorn.

Regards,

Attachments

• 6in_K_tube_v_150Hz_Edgarhorn_by_freddi.jpg
    6in_K_tube_v_150Hz_Edgarhorn_by_freddi.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 439
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi GM,

Yes, size matters.

I took another look @ freddi's Post #5, and the Faerber Equilibrium III now looks to me to be ~ 2"I.D. x 9"slot length x 34" overall brass tube length (or so). Now that might just get it down there.

I found an old audioassylum entry by freddyi that compares a big K-tube (K-coupler) to a tractrix Edgarhorn.

Regards,

I know the Edgar tractrix is very efficient - is the K tube just as efficient? If same drive levels then that is impressive.

Attachments

• x151wingrd7.jpg
    x151wingrd7.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 209
  • x15_main_and_matching_tubes.jpg
    x15_main_and_matching_tubes.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 215
  • X15_K_Tube_info_2_small.jpg
    X15_K_Tube_info_2_small.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 222
  • X15_K_Tube_info_1_small.jpg
    X15_K_Tube_info_1_small.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Concentric_matching_scattering_piece_3.jpg
    Concentric_matching_scattering_piece_3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Concentric_matching_scattering_piece_2.jpg
    Concentric_matching_scattering_piece_2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 372
  • Concentric_matching_scattering_piece.jpg
    Concentric_matching_scattering_piece.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 380
  • Concentric_main_tube_1.875in_x_9.125in.jpg
    Concentric_main_tube_1.875in_x_9.125in.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 387
Hi Pano,

I don't quite know what the angle distortion in that pictures is; but, I found some sketches by freddi, when I enter his dimensions into an AutoCAD drawing, it shows the K-tube mounting panel in the Karlson X15A having a slight forward/downward tilt of 16.96°.

I would be great if you could share some of your measurements. Sadly, I'm not in a position to measure anything at this time. Which is quite frustrating, as it makes it nearly impossible to learn anything objective about this subject.

Regards,

Helped enormously, but not enough to fix 8" tube problems.
Perhaps radial K's over 10" EVM served as "protuberance"?
Note wooden adapter ring, not so obvious.

Large diameter Ktube = waste of time. Do not repeat.
Radial K cardboard thing = worth further investigation.

Attachments

• RadialK.jpg
    RadialK.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
I also say stick with 1' ID k-tubes for 1 inch format drivers if one wants smooth response - its probably OK to extend length if needed for a tube to work in a klam, poke through a horn wall per Faeber, or reach the front aperture plane of a deep regular Karlson.

Carl had a list of 'gain' vs tube diameter - without graphs I could not figure out what was happening.

JetNozzle.jpg

Last edited:
Hi GM,

Post #51: "...draw a straight line from the throat/pipe center-line through the slot's mean pint?"

I don't know where the mean point for a slot like this would be? The claimed intention is to completely release all acoustic energy in a gradual manner w/o reflection back into the K-tube. I'm taking a stab @ it in the attached drawing, so ~8.7° v. 16.9°?

I'll attach my drawing of freddi's X15A sketches, w/ a 1/2 ellipse development of the 1.875"I.D. K-tube.

I guess, this still qualifies as a large K-tube, somewhat similar to the von Langa tube freddi posted in Post #1. If I'm getting what I'm reading, the experts (no pun intended, because I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to Karlson and K-tubes) seem to have decided, that the 1"I.D. format of the Transylvania K-tube is about the upper limit; which bring up a number of questions: is the von Langa and Faerber stuff mainly decorative (? :) ?), and, what would be considered the lower I.D. limit for a K-tube.

Regards,

Attachments

• freddi_sketches_Karlson_X15A.pdf
    67 KB · Views: 158
Hi pano,

Sorry about your laptop. Hope you can salvage it. In my line of work I sometimes pressure-wash badly dirty electronics, and-to my surprise-more often than not they come back to life once very thoroughly dried out. Just pull the battery if you haven't yet.

Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.