Joined 2001
Paid Member
make for creative cut plans for enclosures

One of my favorite examples:

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

4 boxes.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
A dual mid-bass driver slot ported tower, “microwoofTs” I think Dave called it?
Those little Scan Speaks did quite an amazing job for what they were, but would still need help to deliver serious SPL or extension.

He can correct me, but I think we used a quad of the same mid-bass drivers in the Facetts? Only have photos of those at the very earliest of assembly stages, so they’d be meaningless.

Attachments

• IMG_0522.jpeg
    IMG_0522.jpeg
    338 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0528.jpeg
    IMG_0528.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 49
Most of those first half dozen or so “FAST/WAW” designs were biamped, often with whatever amps we had on hand that week, and with cobbled together PLLXOs, so I couldn’t remember every combination used, or even the XO pointd.
I did get a bit fancier with some the later builds, taking advantage of an Onkyo AVR (TX NR818) I boughT for its internal digital XO and biamping capability.
At one point we even fabricated a 4 channel classD amp with buffered PLLXO with several XO frequencies for experiments, which I think Dave may still have in his collection.
My favourite of the bunch though, was the large MTM A7.3/A12PW, which after much experimentation was settled with a passive XO designed by our buddy Aaron - installed externally as the enclosure had already been buttoned up, and it would have been a challenge to accommodate internally and might well have encroached on the MLTL volume for the woofers; at least that’s how I recall my thinking at the time. I was never as particular about documenting with photos as building and listening.
If I were to revisit it, I’d be inclined to consider a miniDSP implementation.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
credo-audio

Doesn’t have push-push woofers. In Tysen V1 we did that (a single SDX7), in Tysen V2 we switched to push-push 5.25”, it worked much better.

The µFonkenSet of woofT was beamed, usually Class AB on the bottom, at the time likely a PP tube amp up top but cold have been many others as well.

dave

Tysen 2 was Silver Flute mid-bass drivers, still with the FF85WK, and still the same PLLXO in plastic box, I think? Those were fun times.
Have you got the Facetts operational again after Bernie’s workmanship to finish them off? I can’t remember if I ever heard them in that livery. And thinking about it, rather like the evolution of the FH3, once one’s head is wrapped around the cutting and fabrication sequence, they might not be too hard to build again, but still a lot of careful sequencing - or a king sized 3D printero_O

edit - having just completed the initial learning curve / familiarization with the miniDSP DC interface for fine tuning PEQ on dual subs in my HT rig, I could see a project like this as a perfect candidate for the Flex8.

Last edited:
Thinking about asymmetrical extension of the truncated pyramid shape, I think it would nice looking to have low-mids done like that with the push-push configuration like this. Can the Blanda-Gronsaker be fixed to the front corner (left on the first view here below) by truncating it?

1697231313784.png

Here below a frontal view:
1697232035141.png

And a side view (the other speaker on the other side) with the truncated pyramid shape and a suprabaffle-like around the speaker:

1697232082010.png