A little about me and some questions for you :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

I have a background in basic electronics. I am an industrial electrician so I'm familiar with all the safety issues involved in working on old gear (early 80's and older). I am interested in learning more about old school audio repair. I mainly want to work with rack mount amps guitar heads and mixing boards. If anyone could suggest some good resources and essential gear I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm currently using a fluke T5-600 DMM and can borrow a fluke 289 logging DMM. I have other basic gear micro screwdrivers, 40w Weller soldering station etc. I would like to buy an O-scope but I don't know what bandwidth to look for or how many channels I would need. If any one knows of a good cheap model that I could acquire from Ebay that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Welcome!

You want a dual channel scope (don't forget about probes- you'll want two each of 1x and 10x) and at least 100MHz of bandwidth. Delayed sweep seems to be pretty standard. You should be able to find excellent used scopes from people like Tek or Sekusui for just a few hundred dollars.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Welcome to diyAudio!!!
These links should keep you busy for awhile! ;)
All About Circuits : Free Electric Circuits Textbooks
Volume VI - Experiments : All About Circuits
Basic Car Audio Electronics
How to Solder
Troubleshooting and Repair of Consumer Electronic Equipment

Lot's of help here online and via PM - don't be shy - just stay safe and try to keep your sense of humor!! :D

Don't be discouraged when you blow some stuff up - we have all done it - and most likely will let the "magic smoke" outta a few more things before all is said and done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.