A Karlson Compendium - Part One - "A New Approach in Loudspeaker Enclosures"

Hi EddieT, - no, I've not had any contact with Mr. Gravesen. That is a common pamphlet and good that he has it on his site.

Perhaps we might persuade Troels to take a stab at his own version of a "Karlson" ? :D.

If I had real woodworking skills then would do several K-coupler - at least one with a curved reflector and internal K-tube. (The Karlsonators, K12 and some K8 already could be adapted.)

At K15's size and aspect, I think the front chamber should be made more shallow when the front shelf is deleted. Lets say lay the baffle back only 23 degrees rather than 30; make external height around 36 inches or so and have a curved upper reflector with K-tube and a compression driver. ("Fig.6 patent 3540544). A 1.4" format compression driver could be of benefit to mate better with most 15 inch woofers. FWIW I saw a LASE brand at around $90 being praised as being better than a more expensive PRV driver.

With subwoofer augmentation, two K12 or "X12" could make a good system as might "K10" size. Smaller K with a little subwoofer could work too if peak SPL levels in the upper bass aren't needed.

someone have plans for this 18FG Karlson cab?

Attachments

• Factiry K18 1280.jpg
    Factiry K18 1280.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 294
No - assume its scaled directly from K16. (roughly 1.2X) so ~39" tall by 27" wide by 21.5" deep - which pretty much matches
the dimensions given in the brochure. - - I goofed on the depth on the image below as gave the scaled internal depth rather than
external.

K18 can be made about the bulk of K15

The only person who may know, if still living, is Alan Weiss who had the last "Karlson patent" and a company which sold a little klam8.

You can check the given dimensions minus the upper compartment.

Gauss's president said they developed their K18 empirically ("by ear")

Attachments

• Two K19.jpg
    Two K19.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
I've asked at YouTube for history of when Karlson enclosures were used in the studio but those who knew have passed.

Its an easy thing to figure out. I found a picture of Bradley's studio in November of 1961 and the Karlson enclosures were all in use. In 1962. Columbia Records bought the studio and replaced the K's with Altec Voice of the Theater cabinets.

So many hit records prior to 1962 were monitored and mixed using K15 Karlson cabinets.

A friend who is good at making K-type cabinets says Sun Studio used a fullrange EV 15 (SP15) rather than 15TRX in their Karlson cabinets. I had one in an R-J cabinet and it is very nice.

Attachments

• Bradley Studios November 1961  Paiit Page Karlson K15 still in use.jpg
    Bradley Studios November 1961 Paiit Page Karlson K15 still in use.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 111
  • OWEN BRADLEY AND GLENN SNODDY 4X.jpg
    OWEN BRADLEY AND GLENN SNODDY 4X.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 101
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Interesting trove of information, freddi, about an unusual speaker from audio's early years. I have to admit that, while interesting, I find the whole concept strange. Perhaps I'm just not astute enough to understand the theory behind Karlson's speakers, but it seems like an attempt to produce something unnecessarily complex when it wasn't necessary (perhaps a reflection of the era?).

Whether sensible or not, they can sound pretty damned good - especially compared to compromised (folded/undersized front loaded) horn and bass reflex - I have 3 K-horns, Edgarhorns, EV Sentry IV, have owned Acoustat, Quad, Tympani 1D and that said, have great respect for K15 with a decent coax / crossover.

I have very little belief in a perfect loudspeaker. I guess
Danley's MEH is a good compromise in approach.

Perhaps I'm just not astute enough to understand the theory behind Karlson's speakers, but it seems like an attempt to produce something unnecessarily complex when it wasn't necessary (perhaps a reflection of the era?).
It was a way to make a compact folded (mid) bass horn and up to ~500 Hz it's impressive with the original being a BP8 alignment in today's lingo, but higher up didn't work for me as a full-range speaker in my youth, but then I was spoiled on Altecs, etc.. With much reduced HF hearing nowadays it wouldn't surprise me if it was fine, especially with the K tube HF.

Reactions: 1 user
Its interesting to ponder that many hit records and albums were monitored and mixed with Bradley's Karlson speakers. That would include Patsy Cline's hit of Willie Nelson's "Crazy" plus "Walkin' After
Midnight", plus a good deal of Johnny Cash's earlier work.

Another Karlson fan noted that Sun once used K15 with EV speakers - is that the source of the famous picture with Johnny Cash ?

Some interesting articles and comments, however isn't 'adding resonance' to a loudspeaker (the front chamber which also adds delayed mid and HF reflections) the complete antithesis of high fidelity reproduction? The mental image which formed when when I first saw the Karlson design was that of Pavarotti singing through a letterbox. A patent bears no relation to the functionality of an invention, and if this particularly novel design had any merits whatsoever we would have seen many imitators. I suspect that recreations of the design are, to the builder and listener, strongly subject to the 'Ugly Baby Effect' whereby the parent believes it to be the most beautiful thing on earth. I suspect that it was simply a particularly good speaker of its day; no more, no less, and simply struck a chord at the time, pun intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user