A/D/S power plate 80 and 100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I will give it a shot when I get home. thanks again for your persistence on this. I know this amp definitely isnt worth the time spent on it, but I can certainly state the learning about it is priceless. Much appreciated.

If I leave the SCR out and install the output ICs and put it back together completely, if it works, is there any harm done other than the protection circuit being disabled?

removed the SCR. put one IC in (didnt want to do both at the same time), powered it up, had both pos and neg rail voltage, then after about ten seconds, pos rail diode shorted. removed shorted diode from circuit. Powered it up again, and neg rail diode started smoking and hot to the touch. shut it down before it shorted.

I am thinking maybe for this test I need to put the full wave rectifier back in? It seems that both voltages likely might have maintained if I was using a more robust diode setup.

tried original bridge rectifier as it checked out on the bench ok. 5a draw approximately and about 2mvac. Tried the replacement rectifier and got about 60mvac on each rail. rectifier got hot to the touch as well as output IC. Pulled the rectifier out of the circuit and went back to the 1/4w halfwave setup and verified that I still have both pos and neg rail voltage at 33vac. I didnt leave it on too long as I didnt want to cook another diode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.