• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A case of direct coupled cathode follower

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 12AU7 intrinsic distortion is bad compared to most other audio tubes. Morgan Jones demonstrated this beyond doubt and I have verified it myself. Put a 6CG7 in the same topology and it will beat the 12AU7 hands down.

Whether it is 'better' than an SRPP depends entirely on what you want to do with it. Whatever the standing current, the SRPP will output twice the current that you can get from a CF. That's what the SRPP was designed for - an output stage.

Cheers

Ian

A classic Conrad Johnson PV10 has got a 12AU7 in the line stage. It is a simple common cathode + cathode follower without bootstrapping and distortion is 1% at about 20V RMS. At 1V output it is 0.02-0.03%. The SRPP cannot do this with a 12AU7 for sure. Actually I have found the same with the ECC88. I have tried many times in all possible manners.
In a line amplifier I have never had the necessity of twice the current of the SRPP as I don't need to drive strange animals. I also have all types of valves you want, even better than the 6CG7. It is not the point. The point is about the circuit and you can make a very good one even using a 12AU7 but this is not the SRPP. Or if you like, the best circuit you can make is not the SRPP for any given device.
Having said this I normally use solid state gear at signal level, especially phono preamp. I find it better from any point of view.

A classic Conrad Johnson PV10 has got a 12AU7 in the line stage. It is a simple common cathode + cathode follower without bootstrapping and distortion is 1% at about 20V RMS. At 1V output it is 0.02-0.03%. The SRPP cannot do this with a 12AU7 for sure. Actually I have found the same with the ECC88. I have tried many times in all possible manners.
In a line amplifier I have never had the necessity of twice the current of the SRPP as I don't need to drive strange animals. I also have all types of valves you want, even better than the 6CG7. It is not the point. The point is about the circuit and you can make a very good one even using a 12AU7 but this is not the SRPP. Or if you like, the best circuit you can make is not the SRPP for any given device.
Having said this I normally use solid state gear at signal level, especially phono preamp. I find it better from any point of view.

I am not quite sure where you are trying to go with this. As I said before "Whether it is 'better' than an SRPP depends entirely on what you want to do with it."

If you want a line amp then I agree, an SRPP is not a good choice, but if you want a headphones amp then a cathode follower is not a good choice. To be honest, I cannot understand what you have a problem with.

P.S Name one tube with better intrinsic distortion than a 6CG7.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
"

If you want a line amp then I agree, an SRPP is not a good choice, but if you want a headphones amp then a cathode follower is not a good choice. To be honest, I cannot understand what you have a problem with.

I don't have any problem. It's just that I think the cathode follower is better. For a headphone amp you can still use a cathode follower with a gapped output transformer which is more linear and there is no necessity of rather big capacitor in series which creates a resonance anyway. It might be damped but phase won't be that good.

P.S Name one tube with better intrinsic distortion than a 6CG7.

Cheers

Ian

6P5GT, 6E5P, 6H30, D3a. Are these enough?
Without taking into account directly heated devices.
The 6SN7/6CG7 is one of my favourite as cathode follower. It really shines in this application.

Last edited:
If one wants/needs an output impedance of around 100ohms, what valve/s should be used in the cathode follower and what circuit gets to that target?

You also need to specify the load you are driving and the level you want to drive into it.

Cheers

Ian

10k //10nF to absolute maximum of 20Vpp.
Normal maximum signal level 6Vpp (CDP and similar)
Ruff,
which post from you, or any others, showed a changed answer, or any answer, after I answered your question?

Did the extra information make my requirement any different?

Stressing the ratings causes microphonics, however :rolleyes: .....it's a fate shared by more famous valves. Will the heaters be damaged by misusal (they're lifted max by 100Vdc)? Left the pre running last night at full throttle (FM radio) and I must confess this lil' plinker is not bad at all. I'm in the dark for numbers as a dissident non-simulate type but the old ears don't lie. Has anyone seen curves for these // why won't there be any?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Always????
For me it is yes. I just don't like SRPP as I have always found a better solution.
Please post your test results of measured intrinsic distortion for these valves.

Cheers

Ian

I have nothing to post. I don't use a computer to measure distortion. It's an "old" HP analyzer.
You will find the same results in other places like Bartola Valves website by my friend Ale. Actually you will find the actual curves as well.

Last edited:
El Mufo

Well, I see this one in the Valve Wizard web pages, it can do the job without any sweat
El Mufo!
You need C3 this big just for sucn an abnormal load, for any other reasonable thing , c3 can be .33u , or smaller..

Attachments

• El Mufo.gif
    El Mufo.gif
    244.4 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.