8" Woofer MTM - Trainwreck?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope you are right Phivates - the MTM's I tried in the 80's were a disaster, never tried that again until recently.

Hey folks - if some are you are looking for the 8hr finish that looks pretty darn good, try Valspar (Lowes and Ace) works very well. This is FLAT BLACK Latex Enamel - it would need to be spayed with a cup-gun (the spay gives it a slight gloss)

Attachments

• DSCN1848.JPG
    DSCN1848.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Interesting, will check that out.

I found this on a PE page; EV thinks it's a good idea.

Re-tuned my DIY boxes slightly, added 3/4" strips to the slot ports, I think I was hearing a bump around 60hz. (total length is now 6.5"). I don't think they will have a lot of bass, many need bottoms.

[Tweeters should be here today/tomorrow]

Attachments

• MDS.jpg
    MDS.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 396
Integrated Tweeters

The tweeters are so small - didn't have to drill all the way thru box; the "bridge" between the woofers is nice and strong (added 1/2 mdf strip back of baffle).

[my bet is that somebody is using them in a coaxial]

Either they'll sound like Wedding DJ speakers or HiFi - which will be fine either way :D

woof, did check out the link, very nice; forwarded it to a few friends (who doesn't like a $200 speaker build)

Attachments

• DSCN1850.JPG
    DSCN1850.JPG
    399.3 KB · Views: 385
Measuring drivers, don't think I'll be at that level for a few years; however would like to be able to use an xo program.

I do have a xo design for this project , will post after some results are in - will try to mesure finished project.

Making boxes is the easy part; have an idea for adding flares to a MTM using "vent strips".

MDF - easy to work with, although very dusty, may order some Medex (wayyy nicer to work with)

SierraPine - Composite Solutions

Attachments

• TB Vents.png
    TB Vents.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 349
Okay a little head of schedule :eek: but here we go and they are sounding very nice.

Bright and cheery and some nice solid bass; no phasing issues left to right. Need a few days to listen to see if I can find something off.

***Really enjoy the set on the floor, could use a little more in the mid, but don't have exact parts as shown in schematic, which are on the way.......... They are 6.5 rumble machines.

Attachments

• DSCN1863.JPG
    DSCN1863.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 334
So speaker is up on stool, which is on bench, ear level, the xo is very smooth and thinking these drivers work well together.

Trying a few simple test to see how xo is working; added push buttons (NC) to woofers and tweeters and used generator sweep test.

{I did try to keep still because moving around does not help}

tweeter off - very slight db dip @ 1,300hz
woofers off - very slight db dip @ 1,800hz so thinking xo point is 1,550 (or close to)
also made up reverse toggle switch to check tweeter drop out - which is huge when in reverse.

Attachments

• DSCN1875.JPG
    DSCN1875.JPG
    445.8 KB · Views: 164
Sounding better than ever; made small adjustment to notch filter and success!
Also series woofer coil is smaller than post 49, (but larger gauge wire); but now have more of a full body sound.
The series 4.7R for tweeter is larger than planed, but can add parallel resistors; have some .33r here.
The cork-board xo will fit inside speaker box.

(To be clear, only the hands on guy here, didn't design xo)

Will take some measurements next week, just want to listen for a while :D

Attachments

• May 31st.jpg
    May 31st.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 460
Well I'm glad this could work out for you. These drivers really do want to work together, every variable I could possibly throw at the simulation maintains good phase alignment, balance, and smooth on AND off axis response. Actually very impressive off axis considering it's an 8" mtm.

You were great to work with to :cheers:

Jay thanks! I know you really put some time into this and it is really appreciated!!

Will try some different resistors for tweeter e.g. 3.3, 3.9.

The MTM's are wayyyy more of a challenge then I realized; which is there is a lot going on when the two woofers combine - the on-off push buttons were quite revealing :eek:

Did pull these apart, painted and re-assembled.
I found out they need a good deal of speaker wool:
4oz Poly Fill which doesn't absorb anything, but holds/positions the "good" wool close to the speaker drivers.
Added 12oz of typ. speaker wool on top of the 4oz.

[I had a lesser amount and the bass was off , but fine now]

Attachments

• 8 woofers.JPG
    8 woofers.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 414
  • 8 inch final xo.jpg
    8 inch final xo.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 410
Humor Greebster or trying to tell me something?

My favorite is the 16ohm white pair in the center of the pic, only 23" tall and ROAR like a LION; that's with "overkill" power, but is really stunning/spectacular. You'll soon forget these are low cost, affordable drivers.

The 600 watts does seem to take care of the low volume setting problem with the SF's. I.e. as other folks have mentioned, need to turn up the volume or the woofer/tweeter balance is off.
Again, the woofers don't move much, which is very strange for the amount of bass pouring out of them.

btw, love the RS28F Dayton tweeters, they sound like 2 drivers, mid and tweeter.

Maybe time to jump on-board?

Attachments

• July 28th.jpg
    July 28th.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Iso

They all sound very nice, and again about the same. All 4 four of the xo's work beautifully.

I did blast the 8" pair for most of the day yesterday, hooked them to the low side of xo and let em rip; they were chugging along like sub-woofers, no problem. The 8" cones were bobbing nicely; how nice would that be to harness that power :scratch1: ...is there such a thing as a Iso 2-way.

Hard to beat that peanutbutter thick bass from a Iso, but would the mid be sacrificed? The 8" SF would be a perfect candidate for a Iso box; 1.5ft3 range.

Attachments

• flange.jpg
    flange.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Tunnel.jpg
    Tunnel.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 182
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.