7th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2010

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pictures of completed Nanook ""219" tonearm

Hi guys,
I killed the hard drive on my not-yet-2 year old iMac...so haven't been responding lately. I have managed to get it up and running with a different hard drive and have re-installed Snow Leopard. It seems to function OK for now.

I just posted a couple of pix in a "newbie want's turntable advice" thread. The pix are located here. If any have competed their arms I am very curious as to their results and any and all comments. Again thanx to Bernie for making the headshells.

Oh, and Mr. Haskins, the first time I was able to go out to Dave's you had terry give away some boards for an amp. I got one of the boards, but is there any documentation to go with it?

From now on I guess I'll b burning everything to disk until I get a new hard drive.:(

thanx fellas, and Western Digital

The stock HD is a Western Digital. The external one is a WD as well....
When I opened the case I was shocked at the dust that was in there. Any living in breezy climes would do well to open their cases and clean out all the dust. Either the heat build up due to dust on the HD, or the dust itself has killed the HD, I think.

I'm thinking of perhaps something like this. I may consider creating an external hard drive and making some cables to insert into the MAC. Thus dust build up would be nil, just a thought.

If I must have a HD in the case, A 160GB would be suitable for OSX (and perhaps Windowz if I create a dual boot system), and then get an external 1 or 2 TB drive for data....
:)

I'll let ya know. Your offers are very kind.

Nanook, I have a few surplus 3.5" 160GB SATA hard drives here. Be happy to send you one if it fits your needs. It's a bit small by nowadays standards, but it's free.

..Todd

If you don't want those drives, ill pay for shipping :)

Building my self a server with Hyper V, and a storage server to house all the vm's.

Will be buying one of these cases soon.
rpc-4020b.jpg

AND just recieved my Intel server board and about to order my xeon 2.8 8mb cache chip :) friend gave me 8 gigs of ddr3 ecc memory for 100$ :)

Untangle box is up with the WAP! I love computers !

Hi guys,
I killed the hard drive on my not-yet-2 year old iMac...so haven't been responding lately. I have managed to get it up and running with a different hard drive and have re-installed Snow Leopard. It seems to function OK for now.

I just posted a couple of pix in a "newbie want's turntable advice" thread. The pix are located here. If any have competed their arms I am very curious as to their results and any and all comments. Again thanx to Bernie for making the headshells.

Oh, and Mr. Haskins, the first time I was able to go out to Dave's you had terry give away some boards for an amp. I got one of the boards, but is there any documentation to go with it?

From now on I guess I'll b burning everything to disk until I get a new hard drive.:(

Get your self a NAS drive, get the one with dual hard drives, ( raided drives is a must now a days ) the Maxtor units go for about 229 for a 2 tb unit, they come with a Ethernet cable & usb cable, throw the unit in the closet with your router / modem and set it up on your imac to drop your files onto for storage :) NEVER rely on a single hard drive in a computer! NAS drives are the thing now a days, especially the ones configured with dual drives with raid 1/0 Cheap insurance for files too. Never loose your files again.

And if you got more money purchase a qnap.

I have a big confession to make:

Last night as I was falling asleep I was back to wondering about the sound of the 604's, the iconic speaker that they are and how awful they sounded what with the non existent upper mids and strange almost wispy tweeters sounds. Something told me there was something I was overlooking as no one, not even I believed that they were sounding anything like they were supposed to. No bass, ok, they've got a pretty low Q but the rest, no way. So I started thinking and the only thing that came to me was:

What if that little switch on the back of the XO, you know the one that does the 1X / 10X on the XO point was accidentally switched into in the 10X position and no one (read Cal) noticed so the XO point wasn't 1K at all it was 10K. Boy that would sure explain what we were hearing, I better go check in the morning.

I guess you don't need any further explanation. Those poor speakers. In all the glory of being taken on a road trip to be displayed in front of all those speaker lovers, some prick went and did that to them and then didn't even notice because it was the first time he had used the XO's. What an a-hole, what a d!ckhead!

I am ashamed.

I am not worthy.

I will ask my wife to spank me tonight.

Cal my other brother from another mother:

I am not so sure you have diagnosed the speaker sound completely. There was sound coming from them. When I took that computer hearing test I could not hear anything above 12K if you had the cross over set at 10K they would just have been squalking and sqweaking.
Perhaps we should have just played Jimmy Buffett beach music to make them sound there best. They really did not seem to perform too well with the gangster Rap you were playing.
To get more out of them next year lets make a bigger baffle, cause as you know bigger and deeper is always better!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.