737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Also had a DC10 issue going out of PBI, and a 737 issue going out of Orlando.

My last flight, the B-17 had an issue, but they noticed it before boarding.

Attachments

• B17-legs.jpg
    B17-legs.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 405
From Wikipedia :

In fluid dynamics, angle of attack (AOA, α, or α) is the angle between a reference line on a body (often the chord line of an airfoil) and the vector representing the relative motion between the body and the fluid through which it is moving.

If the sensor were entirely internal to the plane how would it reference the airflow?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you know what the normal angle of attack is (I think its generally 8 degrees in level flight please correct me if I’m wrong) it’s very easy to detect the angle of the plane with an internal sensor. You then also need air speed and air pressure. Bring those three together and I think you can compute the status of the plane - ie ok, about to stall, stalled or plunging toward the earth.

If you know what the normal angle of attack is (I think its generally 8 degrees in level flight please correct me if I’m wrong) it’s very easy to detect the angle of the plane with an internal sensor. You then also need air speed and air pressure. Bring those three together and I think you can compute the status of the plane - ie ok, about to stall, stalled or plunging toward the earth.
That looks like a good possible sanity check, something any complex device like this should have, but I can see where it won't detect an updraft or downdraft, an exceptional condition that I've heard of as causing a crash during landing. This could augment the current sensor(s) but not replace them. These things need MORE sensors and good integration/fusion of their signals, not one sensor replacing another.

This is what Boeing wrote about the AOA in Oct. 2000:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_12/aoa.pdf
I ran across this article while preparing for a session in a 737-NG flight simulator (I'm not a pilot, it was just for the fun of it).
In effect, at that time they considered it an auxiliary information for cross-checking with other vital flight data - a sort of sanity check, as @benb already remarked.

I have gained the impression that pilots get more than their fair share of blame and of course dead ones cannot defend themselves. What if Sully Sullenberger hadn't been successful with his ditching attempt - would he have been lambasted for his decision to fly into a flock of geese?

I was on one of the two flights that abandoned their approach. From the Archives: The Delta Plane Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.