737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that they might have to replace the wings so that the engines can be fitted further back.
The software fix was of course a kludge for the engine mounting being forward and (I think worse for making the nose go up with higher thrust) lower than previous engines, but what's worse was the software was done badly (the way it overrides the pilot, AND there's no obvious or easy way for the pilot to bypass it) AND that it relied on only one airspeed sensor, especially when there were already two on the plane.
I guess that the planes will all have to be certified again anyway.
It's arguable the design was never properly certified, and the blame goes to the FAA as well as Boeing. For whatever reasons, they both dropped the ball.

I have a feeling that they might have to replace the wings so that the engines can be fitted further back.

Rather more to it than just that. The basic airframe geometry is based on an over 50 yr old design - when all engines where much smaller diameter, AND few airports had the loading ramps we take mostly for granted these days, meaning that entry door closer to the ground made for shorter staircases and marginally quicker loading times. Boeing certainly has other designs since then - some that they’ve sat on awaiting their assessment of market demand- but the 737 series remains the most widely used type in the history of commercial air flight.
I guess that the planes will all have to be certified again anyway.
I think the whole point of MCAS was to provide a software solution to revised aerodynamics that be would automatic, and transparent to the pilots - so much so that Boeing didn’t consider it necessary to include details in the operation manuals.

There has got to be a lot of incentive, and possibly pressure from airlines to retain the class type certification and avoid the millions of dollars in training costs and lost productivity borne by the airlines that any new design would entail.

Once the MCAS is fully vetted by FAA and other regulatory agencies, and to repeat my rant - all operational units updated with alert and bypass systems at no cost to the airlines - then things might get back to normal, but I’d still look for find other stocks to gamble on.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Generally an airline will hire 7 crews per airplane. (14 pilots)

Those pilots need to go to training twice a year. (28 training events/plane/year)

The airplane will last, most likely, 30 years. (840 pilot training events over the life of the plane)

There are roughly 4000 737 Max on order. (3.36 million pilot training events over the life of those aircraft)

Assuming an assumed (and actually very, very low) cost of $3,000 per event, that's 10 billion dollars in training costs for the life of the fleet. 3000*3360000

(Don't even start to figure out what the plane will burn in fuel over its life, the number is astounding)

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Whoops. Yes. Fixed. :eek:

3000*3,360,000=10,080,000,000

Remember, that's the cost of training of the entire fleet, over it's entire service life.

(For what it's worth, $3000/training event is an unrealistically low number. :) But still gives a bit of an idea. )

Status
Not open for further replies.