70's valve guitar amp needs TLC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...»...keep your hands off any electronics' innards.«

No. In this day of 1% parts for a penny, the younger guys never saw a 10% part (and the older guys have to scratch for the memory).

So when working on the old stuff, we have to remember what those colors mean. Generally 10% is plenty good for tube work (the tubes may be +/-20%). This designer specified 5%, either because he was fussy -or- because by that time the 5% parts were down in price.

100K-104K is no difference. I *have* had trouble in a push-pull when one "47K" was like 70K and its twin was over 200K.

Hi all

sorry it's taken so long for me to report back but thet life thing get's in the way eh?

Well I'm happy to report that after soldering the resistor through earth rail tag and on to the 16ohm tag the noise is GONE!

The only sound I hear now is slight static when the volume is turned way up.

So I want to thank you all for your advice and expertise , especially Galu. Muchos gracias!

(pics of my very amateurish soldering - I may re do it!!)

Attachments

• IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    637.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2292.JPG
    IMG_2292.JPG
    567.6 KB · Views: 46
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.