• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you will feel your 50Ω parallel Ro Tx needs something lighter, without 60mA reg CCS, maybe try this simple Mosfet capacitance multiplier of mine. But use D4 Zener in the chain BZX85C62 for lower Vout because your rectified voltage isn't high enough. All other Zener type codes put as shown.

Attachments

• Cap Mult PSU 6V6 Line.png
    Cap Mult PSU 6V6 Line.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
See about rearranging your ground wires to run send return side by side with the hot lines they represent. To tighten loop area. Maybe also compare star ground to buss bar solutions. In general try to reduce hum in the build's wiring. 1.5-2mV AC noise picked by such a wide bandwidth and many digits count DMM on the rails, and a clean scope picture, do not explain hum as coming from some PSU.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, keep it as an alternative to maybe unload your Tx enough since its tested and working. Constant current can be tough when asking not far from Tx + rectifier spec capability. This one is not even a series reg, let alone shunt reg, its a series voltage referenced filter but its not power demanding on the other hand. Not as dynamic but at least not against good tone. Works on smaller sink too.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The two 22.000uF main filter caps at PSU filaments heaters are not grounded at chassis, could be the hum issue?

6V6 & his PSU only grounded the first cap to chassis.

The input RCA with incoming signal ground also grounded to chassis same point PSU 6V6.

Electrostatic R-Core also grounded to chassis.

All 3 single point.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The input RCA with incoming signal ground also grounded to chassis same point PSU 6V6.
I recommend coax signal wire, make one ground node at Ck (-) pin for all main preamp circuit, then with one cable refer it to chassis. Not to pick ripple from the raw PSU ground point directly. Or refer it to the regulator output gnd line only that goes to the raw PSU ground point through its input wiring. So there's some physical distance to the Raw DC capacitor(s) ground point again.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I recommend coax signal wire, make one ground node at Ck (-) for all main preamp circuit, then with one cable refer it to chassis. Not to pick ripple from the raw PSU ground point directly. Or refer it to the regulator output gnd line only that goes to the raw PSU ground point through its input wiring. So there's physical Raw DC capacitor(s) ground point distance again.
Ck (-):+ cathode caps both channels are soldered to the bus ground, not connected to chassis. The bus ground is connected to the SSHV2 output ground. SSHV2 floating and 1st cap after rectifier grounded to chassis, that's all. I don't understant why to do two chassis ground: one for 6V6 PSU and the other for the buss ground?

I'm sorry Salas don't understand you.