• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N3/6N6 headphone amp using PCB.

They both sound good to me. 6CG7 would use 430R or 470R in place of 240R but you can just plug them in and use them if you don't mind running them hot.

In reality, the topology linearizes the tubes by running one against the other if that makes any sense. The distortion tends to cancel so it doesn't really matter which tubes you pick.

FWIW, I'll make a version for 12A*7 since some people seem to like them more and they are easier to get in some places. Hell, I might even make it selectable by jumper.

If anyone wants a version for another tube, let me know and I'll make one.

work in progress...:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Lur ovan.jpg
    Lur ovan.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 648
  • Lur under.jpg
    Lur under.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 704
Ok the idea is that the current from the transformer should flow through the rectifier, the main reservoir cap and back to the transformer so that is does not develop a voltage into your signal ground wiring. There is a good paper on this on eliminating hum loops but I can never find it - I wish Mr Moderator would put it on the forum.

I'm using DC heaters. As long as you run the heater wiring properly, AC should work. Is it 50Hz or 100Hz hum? If 50Hz, check your signal grounding. 100Hz would indicate bad power filtering.

I've used that exact boost module. I've had some bad oscillation but never "hum".

question for Koda:
I was digging through my collection of salvaged transformer and came across a nice pair of 120:12vac @ 7amp units. I was thinking of converting them to 12vdc then boosting it up for use in this project. Does this make sense or is there a better way to go from 12vac to 250 - 300 dc.
Thanks
still waiting for tubes.

You could do that.

I use 9V-0V-9V FW rectified to 11.6VDC in my monoblocs and use DC boost converters from that.

You could also just run 120:12:120... Delon the 120 to get ~300VDC, and use 12VAC for the heaters but it seems like a waste of a rather large pair of transformers.