• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6C33

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• exploding.jpg
    exploding.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 400
At 'End Of Life' --3000 hours plus if used well within ratings,--the Cathode-emission goes below that needed to supply sufficient current for the circuit to work properly!

What you mean I think, is what happens when a 6C33 isnt burned-in properly and used 'raw' and goes bang!

Normally a destructive flashover/arc occurs which strips cathode material off the cathode, liberates gas and causes even more arcing to take place!

A Properly burned in 6C33 is quite happy up to 300 volts plus on the plate....
--Not that I run them at this high voltage, but they are more than happy with 150-200V on the plate, which is where I run 'em....

Also, I NEVER 'pre-heat' any tubes. Its FULL +B at switch-on as well as heaters. Never had a problem with Any tubes doing this....
Several hundred Million Tubed TV sets over 50 odd years Cant Be Wrong IMHO!

Bigun, Thank you for this insightful information
At 'End Of Life' --3000 hours plus if used well within ratings,--the Cathode-emission goes below that needed to supply sufficient current for the circuit to work properly!

What you mean I think, is what happens when a 6C33 isnt burned-in properly and used 'raw' and goes bang!
Normally a destructive flashover/arc occurs which strips cathode material off the cathode, liberates gas and causes even more arcing to take place!
Good explanation - thanks.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.